Pioneer 106d or nec 1100a (oem) which?

vbimport

hi all,

new to dvd writers and want to take plunge so which of the 2 above would one recomend?

i will probably keep my plextor 2410a for cdr’s and remove my toshiba m1612 dvdrom as i only have 2 slots available.

running on p3-1000 with 1024mb ram and xphome.

so which one from newegg as they are both in the $150 (us) range and thats my budget.

thanx

For me it would have been the pioneer as it would write almost every shitty DVD-R brand at the speed thay are certified for.

This includes low quality hong kong discs and princo as well.

Originally posted by chevysales
so which one from newegg as they are both in the $150 (us) range and thats my budget.

If I’m not mistaken, the Pioneer 106D is $169.99 and I assume that you are comparing it to the NEC ND-1300A which is also a dual format burner at $154.99, although you could get the same NEC drive for $143.5 from the following link:

http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=drnend1300a

There is one significant difference between these two which may or may not be of importance to you. The Pioneer drive doesn’t burn most 1X DVD-R discs at 2X while the NEC does. On the other hand, the Pioneer burns most 4X DVD-R discs at 4X while the NEC still has some trouble dealing with lower quality 4X DVD-R discs. So what kind of discs you are planning to burn may affect your final decision.

thanx for the replies.

and for the link as thats the cheapest i found with free shipping.

okay what i gather form above is if i stay with good name brand media go nec 1300a.

if i want to use cheap media (which i usually don’t with my cdr’s) go with pioneer.

one last question which has better ripping ability or cd writing ability. i have a plextor 2410a cdwriter and toshiba m1612 dvdrom and one has to go… i am leaning towards dumping the dvdrom since i can read or rip from dvdwriter.

thanx again :slight_smile:

yep the nec 1300a is what i meant and thanx again for that link on price thats good.

Originally posted by chevysales
one last question which has better ripping ability or cd writing ability. i have a plextor 2410a cdwriter and toshiba m1612 dvdrom and one has to go… i am leaning towards dumping the dvdrom since i can read or rip from dvdwriter.

All DVD burners on the market have relatively slow DVD ripping speed compared to DVD-ROM drives. If you do a lot of DVD ripping, it’s better to keep your DVD-ROM drive in place. Also both DVD burners write CD-Rs up to 16X, which isn’t fast but not too slow compared to your current CD burner. Also you could consider adding an external USB 2.0 enclosure to keep all your drives later.

The NEC DVD read tests:
http://www.phired.co.uk/hardware/dvd_r_rw/nd-1300a-5.php

The Pioneer DVD read tests:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Pioneer+DVR-A06+DVD�RW+recorder&index=3

thanx alot.
as it stands now i use my plextor at 16x max with fuji discs as i burn audio more than anything else.

i do appreciate that link as it saves me almost $20 US and that is going towards media which by the nec stats seems to like verbatim across the board.

both links were very informative.

but reading the pineer 106 info at cdrinfo it really looks like the pioneer is a better all in one choice for me? crap maybe i should consider the sony dw-u10a?

i need the best all in one in this price range.

as for ripping audio this toshiba is as slow as heck compared to the plextor.

this is all temporary as a new box is about 6 months away anyhow :slight_smile:

thanx again