PIO mode not UDMA :(

Have been using my Plextor PX712-A as a UDMA2 device since I bought it. Now all of a sudden, my secondary ide controller has switched to PIO only and will not allow me to change back to UDMA2. What the hell is that all about?? Any ideas how to change this back??

below are links on how to enable DMA mode in XP & WINDOWS 2000.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9668

Hi!

I had the same problem a week ago.
If you have already tried to change it to “DMA if available” but is stuck on PIO then uninstalling the secondary IDE channel drive and rebooting may fix the problem.
Are you using Alcohol 120%? If yes then you should uninstall this first.
This worked just fine for me. Tell me if this helps!

CU!

what kind of mother board are you using??

IF its intel based Chipset, then all you have to do is get “Intel Application Accelarator” of Intel.com, and it will set all your IDE controlers to UDMA- DMA by default.

How about just uninstalling ide controller and letting windows reload it? “Intel Application Accelarator” is not needed and might cause more problems. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

not needed??.. you sure?.. cause i coast cd’s all day long with out it even at 8x.
and i have asus mobo P4G8x dlx with a P4 2.8, 1 gig of ram and SATA drives.

Intel Application Accelarator, will force/set your IDE drives to UDMA mode so you as a user dont have to worry about it.

Im sure. Never used it and some people have had problems with it. If it works for you then use it.

I’m using IAAR (Intel Application Accelerator Raid edition) but experienced this problem as well. I upgraded the firmware which set the drive back do DMA 2, but shortly after it switched back to PIO. Using Plextor Plextools I diagnosed the CD I was trying to read and found that that was the problem - if the CD has problems the drive switches back to PIO after a certain number of failed tries.

I think it’s possible to change this default behavior (# of tries), but I’m not sure how. Bottom line is I stopped using the corrupt CD (which read fine on my laptop nevertheless) and after rebooting the drive was back in DMA mode. I haven’t had problems with it since.

Project Aquarius

It was an issue of Windows XP SP1, now it should have been fixed with SP2…

Microsoft Knowledge Base: IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors Occur

Hope this helps, :slight_smile:

ET