PIF Spikes, pause correlation?

vbimport

This is a Yuden000T02 burned at 16x with the NEC ND-3520A, using firmware 1.U6. Very nice scan except for the four or five PIF spikes of about 7. When I play these discs on my Philips DVP642, I notice brief pauses, coincidentally 4 or 5 times per disc. I’m assuming the pauses are a result of the spikes.

Perhaps someone familiar with write strategies can answer this. Do the spikes correspond with spots where the laser strength is recalibrated?

This is just an obeservation, not a complaint. I have no problem burning these discs at 8x. I don’t get PIF spikes that way, and they seem to play fine. I’m just curious as if this is the case. Sometimes, I forget to set the burn speed in Nero to 8x and it defaults to Max which will burn these at 16x. By the way, all of my PC based DVD drives (six of them) play back the troublesome spots with no issues.

Anyone have any input on this?

Do the spikes correspond with spots where the laser strength is recalibrated?

Yes, they do. The 3500 drives can also do this. But it’s nowhere near enough to cause playback problems unless the player has trouble with recordable media.

If you do a CDSpeed datadisc test then view the graph above your error scan, you’ll see the spikes line up exactly.

Thanks for answering. The Philips has a reputation of playing back nearly anything, and has even played back discs with PI errors into the thousands, but I guess it doesn’t like the PIF spikes. No problem really though, cause I will just burn my DVD video at 8x and the PIF max will be 2.