Pie/pif test question

Hi,

I’m new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

I’ve recently read about how to test for PIE/PIF, and I realize I was actually doing that since some time with CD-DVD Speed, using a Sony CRX-320E (if I correctly remember) combo drive. But now, reading the documentation, I realize there is a clear diferrence between my results and the theory. For ex, for Verbatim Azo media I get average PIE=10,30 and PIF=1.50 (with Nero CD-DVD Speed). I also have an ASUS DRW 1608P (f ver 1.50) DVD-writer, but when I use it for testing with CDSpeed I get strange results and with DVDInfoPro, I get an error message telling me the drive doesn’t support this function.

By the way, the combo drive is not in a perfect state, to be more precise it only read DVD media, in can no longer read/write CDs.

Question 1: it is possible that the errors reported are so big because of the drive used and not the media? Or because the drive is a combo?

Question 2: even so, can I rely on this drive to (only) be able to see the diferrence in quality between 2 DVDs?

Thanks in advance.

Transferring to ‘Media Testing/Identifying Software’…

Christian, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Yes that is not only possible but even likely. The drive used for Disc Quality Scanning always impacts the results, but some drives are worse than others in this respect.

You will mostly see DVD quality scans performed on DVD burners on these forums, and quality scans performed on DVD-ROM and Combo drives are usually not comparable to scans performed on DVD burners (the DVD-ROM/Combo drive scans usually show much higher PIE/PIF levels).

Question 2: even so, can I rely on this drive to (only) be able to see the diferrence in quality between 2 DVDs?
Maybe. I’m not familiar with your drives, but if you get reasonably consistent results when scanning the same disc, you might be able to use your drive(s) for comparing DVDs.

If you want to discuss “strange” results, it’s much better if you post some scans (screenshots) which will provide more detailed information than just the average/max/total numbers.

First off… sorry about the WIDE post… I don’t know how to line up the attached pics vertically…

I was curious about pie/pif results myself. I have a Pioneer dvr-109 burner and noticed some burns were not playing well. So i switched from my cheapo DVD-Rs to some Verbatims (reading that they were good). Sadly, I’ve had more coasters and artifacts show up in my verbatim burns then I did with the cheapies.

On to the point of this post however… I ran Nero’s cd-dvd speed test on a cheapo and a couple verbatim disks, and all were awful… I think. Not quite sure, but comparing to snapshots I’ve seen on the net, I think I’m interpreting it right. Am I? (all tested on dvr-109)

If they are all bad, then what would be a best guess as a cause?

verbatim-1.png is the 1st verbatim burned by the dvr-109

verbatim-2.png is the same data on a verbatim burned on a samsung dvd burner.

cheapo.png is the cheap disk, burned on a dvr-108

Pioneer drives aren’t that good for scanning and tend to exaggerate error levels or show trends which don’t actually reflect the true error rate of the disc. However, seeing the spikes in the burn reminds me of relink areas (maybe the samsung is pausing to test disc quality and restarting the burn or buffer underrun) and might not have made a good relink at those points.

Generally, to my knowledge, older samsung burners are not good - they usually are quite bad but newer ones have been said to be better.

I wouldn’t necessarily call my Samsung old… although I suppose it is pushing 2 years now. I suppose I just find it disheartening that the tests look so bad. Would a failing drive show that kind of degredation as well? (FYI, this is the second pioneer dvr drive I’ve had. the first, a dvr-108 died within 1 yr. this dvr-109 was a replacement) I guess I’m thinking a new drive might be in order… but I hesitate to get another pioneer.