PIE and PIF on Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x Made in Singapore

vbimport

So… here i was burning some Dvd+r DL 2.4x MIS, when i check the QTest, and they are full of PIF and PIE…
I burned them with 3 different burners, A plextor 760A, Liteon 20A1H and LiteOn 20A1S.

Here are the results…
I thought it could be my computer, but the results are very similar with the 3 burners.
The Liteon S seems to have lower PIF spikes but more PIE.
I guess i got some faulty dvd+r dl.

The 1st is From S and then the Plextor.

I forgot to say, on the 20A1S and H, the discs were burnt @4x, and on the plextor @6x.
Both 760A and 20A1H had similar results… a lot of PIF after the 3Gb mark.
No visible damage on the disc.

[quote=rakter;2110717]So… here i was burning some Dvd+r DL 2.4x MIS, when i check the QTest, and they are full of PIF and PIE…
I burned them with 3 different burners, A plextor 760A, Liteon 20A1H and LiteOn 20A1S.

Here are the results…
I thought it could be my computer, but the results are very similar with the 3 burners.
The Liteon S seems to have lower PIF spikes but more PIE.
I guess i got some faulty dvd+r dl.

The 1st is From S and then the Plextor.[/quote]The 20A1S burn is clearly better in spite of increased PIEs. Max PIF spikes at “2” would result in an easily playable disc. But many players would choke on that “15” PIF spike on the Plextor burn (one of mine wouldn’t be able to get past the “7” and "8"s either).

[QUOTE=larc919;2111181]The 20A1S burn is clearly better in spite of increased PIEs. Max PIF spikes at “2” would result in an easily playable disc. But many players would choke on that “15” PIF spike on the Plextor burn (one of mine wouldn’t be able to get past the “7” and "8"s either).[/QUOTE]

Yeah… strangly the 360 can read them…
Even more strange, most of the Dl’s were burned on the Plextor @6x or the Liteon 20A1H @4x and their results were awsome… when i open a new cake of DL’s i’ll see if it’s the dvds or the dvd recorders, or even the Ata cables.

The 1st scan ain’t actually that bad, i have seen alot worse. Try burning one at x2.4.

Here’s the last DL i burnt…

I really don’t know what to make about my MKM 001 situation. I bought some last year and posted some scans a while back. Those are posted on this thread.

Well, I recently decided to burn a full DL disc, and it turned out similar to the one below.

It was burned on my Pio (see sig) at 6x using Imgburn and scanned on my BenQ. The crazy thing is, upon doing a “ScanDisk” in Nero CD-DVD Speed on my Pio, the whole thing was totally readable. It was a single 7.94 GiB file that I burned, so I did an md5 hash on the original file, and then on the burned one. Perfect match. So is the whole thing been just that my BenQ is not accurately reporting PIE/PIF at or near the layer break?

Could be a heavy influence of high jitter at the layer break on what the rest of the disc’s quality [PIE, PIF, POF wise] is like. :iagree:

Sorry, I’m not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean that I should judge the disc by the rest of it, i.e. it’s okay? Or do you mean judge the rest of disc based on the terrible layer break, i.e. it’s not okay?

[QUOTE=Saucerful;2115736]Sorry, I’m not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean that I should judge the disc by the rest of it, i.e. it’s okay? Or do you mean judge the rest of disc based on the terrible layer break, i.e. it’s not okay?[/QUOTE]
judge by playback &/or reading–since it was read fine, it’s OK. if it’s a video DVD, and playback is good, you don’t have to pay attention to scans.

BenQ drives can report PIE’s and PIF’s wildly if the jitter is too high. Try a scan in a Lite-on or a Plextor if you have one accessible.

I’ve been meaning to add a Litey to the mix for quite some time. I guess I should get on that.