Pics of the inside of my ltr-52327s (4 pics 520 KB)

vbimport

I like taking stuff apart and seeing how they work. While doing that, I took some pics to share with other people curious what’s in the newest cd burner from lite-on :slight_smile:

A view of the entire drive, you can see that the drive is a lot shorter than previous lite-on drives, and the components are quite… snug

view from top

The drive’s pcb. The chipset has been moved to the inside side of the pcb, the only thing on the outside is the servo and spindle driver (I think…)

The chipset used in the ltr-52327s

Interesting, thanks!

On a side note are any of these drives serviceable as i have got a year old justlink 40x faulty burner (not mine) because i replaced it with another one for a friend and told him i would have a look at it…
I to took it apart but apart from checking the wires and cleaning the lens anything else i could do
btw before anyone says its not software related …

Originally posted by dallshead
On a side note are any of these drives serviceable as i have got a year old justlink 40x faulty burner (not mine) because i replaced it with another one for a friend and told him i would have a look at it…
I to took it apart but apart from checking the wires and cleaning the lens anything else i could do
btw before anyone says its not software related …

It’s definately possible to remove and replace just about anything in the drive, as long as you have a screwdriver to unscrew the small screws in the drive and a replacement part (which can be very difficult to find… unless you know someone working for lite-on :stuck_out_tongue: )

you will need to know which component is faulty, that can be difficult to find out.

nice pics:)
but here is something strange: on the third picture there’s text on the pcb that says “LTD-165(A)/LTD-166(A)”.:confused:

Nothing special, that’s a way to keep prices down, to reuse PCB from another drive. Notice how the 166/165 and the 52247S is identical in dimensions? Probably has to do with the usage of smaller componets from the DVD-ROM series :wink:

Well done, g33k ! :bow:

The chipset pic is a bit “refined”, so that there now is no need for standing upside down when looking at it :wink:

Thanks for the pics! :smiley:

I was particularly interested to see them because my LTR-52327S should be arriving in the next week or two.

I’m guessing they reused the same PCB design for the front panel part as the DVD drives use, hence the number on it…

Did anyone notice the SONY-RW sicker on the bottom of the drive in the middle picture? =)

Does that mean the mechanics of the drive are made by Sony?

Originally posted by bandit_2k
[B]Did anyone notice the SONY-RW sicker on the bottom of the drive in the middle picture? =)

Does that mean the mechanics of the drive are made by Sony? [/B]

I’m pretty sure lite-on manufacturers their own drives. after all, they are a very big supplier of cdroms and stuff in asia. Maybe sony manufacturers the spindle sasembly for lite-on? who knows…

Sony PUH (pick-up head) :wink:

Interesting… I didn’t know that Lite-On used the Sony PUH.

I guess that fits with the theory (or is it a known fact) that the letter at the end of the drive’s model number indicates the manufacturer of the PUH.