Pics of LVW-5005....?

vbimport

Hi.

Just have a few questions on the LVW-5005 Dvd Recorder if I could get some info.

1. Does anyone have a link with some close up pics of the inputs and outputs of this machine with some labels attached? (Needing to know exact setup)

2. What kind of clarity or picture quality is there from the 1-3 hr settings for a recording?

3. Has anyone witnessed any overscan problems with this model at all? Overscan being the messy uncaptured lines that flicker at the bottom of a screen. Mostly seen on computer playback. (Another Dvd Recorder I’ve used has had this problem)

4. Does the remote deffinately have a Volume and Mute function associated with the dvd player/recorder itself? Not one of those stupid remote’s that has to intergrate with an ‘accepted’ TV’s volume control!

5. What’s the quality like in relation to the SVCD, VCD and Audio recording?

6. Does this model have an internal TV tuner and can it playback JPEG format as well?

7. Lastly does the ongoing firmware upgrades to this machine add anything to the quality of the captures or are the upgrades mostly feature based?

Thanks for this.

Hi, I am sure many other will give different answers based on their experience, so please accept my experiences are precisely that.

1. model differs for US and European users - which are you?

2. Personally, I never use 1 hour as it uses twice the disk sapace as 2 hour, and frankly, I can’t tell the difference. Both are as good as would be expected from a DVD.
    The 3 hour is marginally inferior (in my opinion) as it uses less pixels. However, still better than SVHS or SVCD, and more than acceptable.

3. Never seen overscan problems

4. Can’t remember but I don’t think it has a volume function.

5. Can’t comment directly as I have a 5002 which only burns DVDs.

6. Model does have a tuner, but as far as I know for the 5005 it is mono only (5002 is certainly mono). Many users prefer to hook up a VCR and record via scart/AV to get stereo (I actually use a Digital Terrestrial box in the UK). Don’t know about playing back JPEG.

7. Difficult to say, but in general quality has improved - upgrades are not that frequent now as the product is quite mature. Updates are not normally feature based.

One key advantage of Liteon is that the firmware is easily hacked to bypass macrovision so you can back up old video tapes which are macrovision protected on to DVD to create a permanent backup (not for piracy of course!)

You can also copy DVDs created using Nero etc on a PC.

Overall reliability is probably a bit questionable, but it is very cheap of course. It’s almost worth it for the ability to bypass macrovision alone.

No.

1. What’s the quality like in relation to the SVCD, VCD and Audio recording?

VCD sucks. Don’t know about the others.

Does this model have an internal TV tuner and can it playback JPEG format as well?

Yes and yes.