Picking the right CDRs

vbimport

Can you guys tell me which is best for reliability:price ratio? What's "cakebox" anyway? It's free shipping from Onsale/Egghead. Here are the choices:

MEMOREX CDR RECORDABLE MEDIA SUPL650MB 74MIN SPINDLE 50-PK $37.99

RICOH CDR MEDIA 8X 650MB GOLD-TYPE 74 50PK SPINDLE $38.99

IMATION CDR 8X 74MIN 650MB-BRANDED SPINDLE 50PK $45.99

MAXELL CDR 8X 650MB 74MIN-BRANDED SPINDLE 50PK $52.99

TDK CDR 74MIN 650MB TDK SPIND-CAKEBOX BRANDED 50PK $53.99

TDK CDR 74MIN 650MB SHINY-SILKSCREEN 8X CERT 50PK $53.99

SONY CDR 650MB/ 74MIN-SILVER MATTE SURFACE, SPINDLE-50PK $50.99

SONY CDR SPINDLE 74MIN BLANK-UNPRINTABLE SHINY 50PK $44.99

HIVAL CDR MEDIA SPINDLE-UNBRANDED 50PK $42.99

HIVAL CDR MEDIA SPINDLE-74MIN 650MB 50PK $42.99

HIVAL CDR MEDIA SPINDLE 8X BLU/-GR 74MIN 650MB 50PK CAKE $43.99

I'm leaning toward either Hival or SONY, but don't know their difference... please help. Thanks!!!

Stop wasting your time and check out
www.mitsuicdr.com

That’s helpful and all, but they have no prices on the website as far as I’ve seen, and contact info asks about what type of business I’m in, etc. so they will contact me about my needs.

I think I’ll waste less time going with Onsale and their free shipping. Just needed opinions on the brands… thanks.

Just send them an e-mail and ask for the supplier nearest you. You can’t go wrong with the MITSUI blank cd

I think you should go for the TDK cdr’s, I’ve used almost every cdr you’ve mentioned.
And I think that the TDK cdr’s are the very best.

philips are the best !!

I read in a german magazine that tdk is the best you can get and philips was on a seventh place but also had the same ratings as tdk… both had very good… can’t say that about lenco…!

ricoh are good, tdk are nice also. i have had no problems with sony discs, either. just stay away from hival! and cakebox is just like on a spindle, with no cases. that’s how they keep the price down.

[This message has been edited by Squage (edited 17 March 2000).]

TDK is good, Maxxell and Sentinel

those three (merken, euuu) “branches” I always use and never have probs with it

Philips is good but more expensive over here then the others i just named so I’ll stick with TDk and so cos they are just as good (maybe beter) and lower price.

It depends sometimes cos CDRs dont come always from the same factory, I believe there were three “branches” who all come from the same factory and ppl keep on telling that the one is better then the othere wilst ther are just the same

Based on almost everyone’s opinions… if you had to pick one only - TDK seems to be the one above all others… as close to a ‘general consensus’ as I can get, based on the handful of UBBs I’ve asked on. Thanks people!

[This message has been edited by rh71 (edited 17 March 2000).]

TDK cdrz are good, world wide.

But other brands, not released everywhere are as good as tdk, even better !

For example, matsuchita’s cdr (eg Matsuchita, Verbatim…) are really good ones too !!!

exeo

HELLOHELLOHELLO!!!

I think a topic like this already excists!!!
Check search!!!

L8rz…!

You know, majority of the users say Verbatims are among the best… I have 2 audio CDs that I created about 1.5 years ago, if that long and it looks like it’s physically wearing. I treat it the same as I do with my Imation/HiVal CDRs and there aren’t any cosmetic problems with those. By physical/cosmetic, I mean that the matte(?) or whatever you call the layer you write on is scratching off a bit at the edge and it seems the data burn on the opposite side is going away with it… the audio is fine though… will I lose the audio sooner than later?

Why only the Verbatims?

I won’t tell you which cdrs you MUST use. Just try some good brands and decide for your own. But avoid the cheapest ones an non-popular manufacturers(although there’s still a difference between the philips-one of the best- cdr’s for europe and asia; those for asia are of an inferior quality!). I’ve already seen cheap cd’s change in color after a few years and also loose their photo-sensible film ! Now I’m using Kodak Ultima GOLD. Really really good! They guarantee you a durability for at least 10 years and maybe up to 100 years (yes, think about your grand-childs!!). They have also one of the best antiscratching protection. But always keep the price in mind. If I were you I wouldn’t spend more than 1.7 dollars (+/- 70BEF) for a 74 min 650 MB CDR.

I now use princo forover 4 weeks and already burned 100 cd’s without any error. And they aren’t much expensive.

74 min with 10 cd+jewelcases you pay 430 BEF/ 23 NLG
80 min with 10 cd+jewelcase you pay 530 BEF / 29 NLG

These cd’s are made in the same fabric from where the philips silver come, only this one are a whole lot cheaper.

i just been using the memorex 50pk 700 mb spindles from best buy. but the ones i have had no coasters from ever believe it or not are those pacific digital`s their cheap but i was supprised none ever went bad on me yet?
but maxell and tdk are good also i think it all depends on what you wanna use them for…and how long you want your data preserved…

Yes, there is a little difference, but not that much. Until now never had any burn errors, so i’m pretty pleased about these cd’s

Avaoid any cd’s from ritek.

They are usually repackaged as others, eg samsungs.

I get the occasional burn error, but nothing prepared me for the mass of errors on cd’s that were burnt 6months ago, were fine 3months ago, but now they are UNREADABLE.

If I can get the cdrom to detect them at all, I’m lucky. Usually, I have to spit them out and put them back in again about 6 or 7 times before I could use blindread to extract them, just so i can burn them to ricohs.

Cheap cd’s are cheap for a very good reason. If you have to pay double for a good cd, It’s worth it.
( My cd collection on the el cheapos is around 60/70, so I’ll be paying about 1.5 times as much as if I went for the good ones the first time round)

I have used most of the cd’s you listed and I can tell you that I tossed out about 20 cd’s out of a 50-pak, I come to the conclusion that the labels on the Hi-Val’s
are too heavy and make the spindle when burning drag and you get a screwed up burn.,
No problems with the TDK, but I have to say Taiyo Uden are some of the best!!!

For those interested, here’s an updated list:

RICOH CDR MEDIA 12X PLATINUM-TYPE 80 650MB 50PK $50.99

RICOH CDR MEDIA 8X 650MB GOLD-TYPE 74 50PK SPINDLE $37.99

IMATION CDR 8X 74MIN 650MB-BRANDED SPINDLE 50PK $45.99

MAXELL CDR 8X 650MB 74MIN-BRANDED SPINDLE 50PK $52.99

TDK CDR 74MIN 650MB TDK SPIND-CAKEBOX BRANDED 50PK $44.99

TDK CDR 74MIN 650MB SHINY-SILKSCREEN 8X CERT 50PK $44.99

SONY CDR 650MB/ 74MIN-SILVER MATTE SURFACE, SPINDLE-50PK $50.99

SONY CDR SPINDLE 74MIN BLANK-UNPRINTABLE SHINY 50PK $41.99

HIVAL CDR MEDIA SPINDLE 8X BLU/-GR 74MIN 650MB 50PK CAKE $42.99

HIVAL CDR MEDIA SPINDLE-UNBRANDED 50PK $37.99

HIVAL CDR MEDIA SPINDLE-74MIN 650MB 50PK $44.99