Picking out new DVD burner

I have recently gutted my computer because the “thing” I was using was ancient and slow. the new motherboard I have does not use IDE drives well and my understanding from asus is that the drivers were bad and that didn’t matter much to me as I have pretty much upgraded everything to sata. well now I am having an interesting problem of not being able to find a decent sata dvd burner that can do what I want it to do. I have a 2 and 4 year old so it is a must to back up anything shiney as they are often like a tornado in a trailer park. one of the things I have done is mod’ed my Xbox 360 to play burned games. I was using my brothers computer to burn the games but now that mine is functional I would really like to start using it. I have bought 2 drives, a hp DVD1070 and a Plextor px-850SA, and neither will work to burn games however both are awsome at burning everything else. I am not sure if I am correct but I have traced this down to being able to change the booktype on the drive. could someone please inform me of which sata drive to buy that would support this function of changing the booktype? or give me any suggestions as to what I can do?
thank you for your help