Picking a Graphics card without overkill?

vbimport

I’m trying to figure out what graphics card I should go with. I’m typically one of those “go hard or go home” kind of people when it comes to quality and performance. But really there is no point in wasting money if I’m not gonna need such performance, obviously I’d still like to keep quality, who wouldn’t? From what I’ve read EVGA is one of the better qualities.

This is going to be a new build, I’ve started a thread in the PC Build section and have had great help from others. So, no limitations on my CPU or PSU. I plan on choosing those based on my needs from the graphics card and what ever else is affected by those.

I am a gamer, although not much as of now because kids and school. Although I do want a good card due to school for engineering and do use a range of CAD programs. I did see Dominators recent post about the GeForce GTX 660 Ti. I do like the looks of it, but I’m not the smartest when it comes to graphics cards. What might the Ti stand for, and does ASUS’s version with dual fans make an adequate difference from EVGA’s single fan.

I am looking for a card with HDMI, I love nothing more than a crisp looking screen. As I understand DVI and HDMI are very similar. DVI is an unencrypted digital signal, where as HDMI is an encrypted digital signal. But I’ve read mix results as which may have a better quality. I’m thinking maybe some of these results may be due to the quality of these persons monitor/TV. And if HDMI is better would connecting DVI to HDMI via DVI-HDMI adapter result in HDMI quality or degrade the quality of the HDMI cable to DVI.

If I left any question open to you well-knowledged folks :slight_smile: please let me know so I can fill the gap. Thank you for any help you may give.

I find frustration with too many model options.

But I do find MSI TwinFrozr models to be very good, and EVGA also.

I would get fastest of 660 line (without overclock) and then choose vendor for that model.

I’ve been dithering this issue for almost a year and recently sold some junk I had around for an unexpected profit, coupled with refinancing my house at half the previous interest rate and cutting my monthly payment by $300, so feeling temporarily rich I ordered one of these

TWO HDMI and TWO DVI connectors.

I needed a new graphics card to go along with my new BD-RW drive and my 40" TV

I own this card and I love it, a lot of bang for the buck.

I recently bought a SAPPHIRE 100323-2L Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 and find it does everything I need just fine. It is a heck of a deal for $49 with free shipping. I am not a gamer but do run Autocad software (no 3D rendering) and even the low end cards do that well.