PI and PO errors?

vbimport

Does anyone know what the Lite-On LDW 851S is like with PI and PO errors ??

Does it produce alot of them or is it a drive that produces very few ??

Thanks

@ gjac1
The 851 is certainly capable of excellent quality burn and the excellent scans that go with them, provided you use good quality media. You can also flash the 851 to an 832 and use the CodeGuys CG5G firmware:).

Couldn’t have said it better. So I will add! :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

wow an excellent reply, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

gonna have a go at it now

why get such an old drive?

LiteOn 851 does not produce PI or PO errors.

It produces variable burn quality on various different media. The quality is determined by lower level disc/burn characteristics like pit jitter, asymmetry, etc. These are not measurable using home grade dvd burners.

This results in PIE, PIF, POE and/or POF errors in the reading process.

LDW-851 as a reader does usually produce more errors in reading than some later 16x LiteOn models (like SOHW-1653s). As such, it is a useful scanner (IMHO) as it does not give you an overly optimistic view of the burn quality (like most 16x LiteOns often do), but as a burner it is quite far from the current best.

Great for scanning, great for burning Good quality +R media such as Ricoh JPN R01, crap for burning -R (like most Liteon’s), and thats about it really.

I can confirm crappy burns on -R media, PI errors on some media in excess of 1000 ! Liteon 851S w GS0P FW.

Hoever, just burned some Prodisc +R 8x disks at 2x and had less then 20-30 PI errors.

Will flashing to the 832 improve burns on -R media?

Mill221, it may improve -R quality slightly, and thats it, if you want good burns either stick with +R or do what i did and get yourself a good -R burner, the 109 seems to have found some stability with the new 1.40 FW it may be an idea to look in the pioneer section if you’re interested. If you want see what you’re 851S can do with -R it might be an idea to try out the New CY58 which is an altered version of the Sony VY08 FW it’s been said that Sony FW is the best for -R so give it a try but be warned it will void your warranty.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about building a 4bay external firewire enclosure and throwing a few Pioneers in there - a friend has had much success w the 108’s.

As a side note - A few mos ago I bought a MicroAdvantage 16DDVDRW-A13 which as I understand a rebadged AOpen. Just installed it, havent changed or updated any FW and got what seems to be a decent burn except towards the end:
Date : 4/4/2005 3:18:31 PM
Model : 1-0-1-0 LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S GS0P
Disc : DVD+R , PRODISCR03 [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 1978888
Sampling count : 110758
Errors : 0
PI Max : 1204
PI Average : 24.59
PI Total : 364999
PIF Max : 83
PIF Average : 0.47
PIF Total : 7047

What’s your professional opinion of this burn ?

I havent tried a -R with this burner yet.

Thanks -

mill

well how about you try those prodiscs in that liteon of yours, with yudent000t02 strat…

i have - the liteon LOVES the prodisc +Rs…