Physical size of DVD burner? Will it fit my computer?

Okay, I wanted to get a Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B drive, however, I see its dimensions are 6.7 x 5.8 x 1.6 inches. I don’t know much about DVD burner sizes, so I don’t want to order it until I find out whether or not it will actually fit inside my computer.

On the specs for my computer, it says I have room for:
External: 1 (3.5"), 2 (5.25"); Internal: 2 (3.5")

Now, does that mean I can only get a new DVD burner with dimension of 5.25 width? Will the 7240S be to wide for my computer, since its 5.8 inches wide? I really don’t know. I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge could let me know how that works.

Any information on the subject will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,[QUOTE=LightNova;2281577]Okay, I wanted to get a Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B drive, (…) find out whether or not it will actually fit inside my computer.

On the specs for my computer, it says I have room for:
External: 1 (3.5"), 2 (5.25"); Internal: 2 (3.5")
[/QUOTE]Unless you already have two optical drives installed, there is no problem to install a DVD burner (or any other optical drive) in one of your 5.25" drive bays.

Michael

Okay, my only real concern is the fact that it says 5.25 expansion bay, but the Sony 7240S is 5.8 inches wide. I am afraid that the sony will be too big for my computer.

I currently have 1 DVD-burner installed, a HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L drive. I have a free expansion bay slot underneath that one for another optical drive.

Will a drive that’s 5.8 or 5.7 width fit in a 5.25 expansion bay? Are they universal?

Thanks in advance.

@ LightNova,

Luckily there is an industry size “Standard” concerning the size of Computer Case Drive Bays and Computer Hardware Components ->

Both the HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L and Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B Optical Drives are standard Half-height Optical Drives.

Your HP Pavilion A6750T Desktop Computer has standard Half-height or 5.25" Drive Bays.

In short a Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B Optical Drive will fit in your HP Pavilion A6750T Desktop Computer.

Regards,
bjkg

bjkg, thanks, I’ll read up on that, and I think I’ll go ahead and get the Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B.

[QUOTE=LightNova;2281855]bjkg, thanks, I’ll read up on that, and I think I’ll go ahead and get the Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B.[/QUOTE]

The AD-7240S is an excellent choice, and will perfectly fit your empty 5.25" bay for sure. The dimensions reported by the site may be inaccurate since half-height optical drives are standardized to fit any 5.25" bay on any computer - only the length may interfere with some small PC chassis. :wink:

5.25" is half-height which is luckily a standard.