Photolab Copyright

vbimport

My reaction to this newpost

Ohmy god, this just made my day! I work at the photolab in walmart and this happens everyday! Lol. We usually don’t get people that take the digital pics and edit them.

Most of our problems come from the people that get their pictures done professionally somewhere, thing bring them in and use one of out Digital Print Machines to make copies by themselves. Then they come up to the counter to pay and I’m all like, “yeah… since these were obviously taken by a professional photographer, we can’t sell you these” Then I use the paper shredder that’s at the counter :slight_smile: and shred them in front of the customer.

This really makes them mad. But we will get sued if we reproduce those, and I value my job.

The thing is we have copyright policies posted everywhere, even on the picture maker software about our policy.

Even if it isn’t copyrighted, but has the apperance of being copyrighted, or done by a professional, we don’t have to sell it to them. But people just skip right throught the notice and then they get mad. Well if they would have read the policy to begin with, they wouldn’t have printed the pictures.

But nothing makes my day better than someone who starts to curse at me because I didn’t sell them their prints because I want to piss them off or something. As soon as they start to leave, I wave and tell them to have a nice day. Lol, I love it!!

As a budding amature photographer, now I have a good goal.
I’ll know I have a good shot if they refuse to print it.

I wonder if the online photolabs like snapfish, ofoto etc screen the shots too?
My experience so far with a few slightly risqué photos has been that the stores won’t print them but the online services will.

Do I smell the sense of sarcasm?

My baby’s first camera = Sanyo VPC-C1. It’s light enough for her.

Depending on the subject material (female only) I can print them for you for no profit! Just email 'em. :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

I’ll take a set of those prints as well! :stuck_out_tongue:

@kwkard, funny story! It also amuses me when people get upset or angry over their own deficiencies (eg not reading a policy).

Well I can tell the difference between a studio shot and digital editing most of the time. Besides, people bring in their memory cards to print off of, I usually don’t question it, unless it looks kind of fishy. But the one’s who scan their prints and bring them to the counter, that’s obvious.

The only way we can print them is if they get a original photographer to sign a copyright release form that we will keep on file for 5 years.

Here is a copy of my notice for violating the TOS from Walmart. They stuffed it in the envolope with the other pictures.

The pictures were pretty benign too…just a little striptease with bra showing (with 1 dollar bills stuffed in there) :wink:

@Crabbyappleton
@Wesociety
-Sorry boys, I don’t send out the good stuff because I don’t want some 16 year old kid printing extra copies of my girl for him and all his friends.

Do they trust you? :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s cool Spitfire-my wife would get pissed if I started such a “business”. Hehehe.

I am a student in Graphic Design. I had an assignment to redesign a package. I designed a package of Nutrigrain “organic” cereal bars (I made up the organic part). Using Adobe Illustrator I designed a box, it looks nothing like the original, I had it printed on card stock at OfficeMax then folded it up and taped it together. As part of our final portfolio show in school, all the students photographed their pkgs with props (I used wheat lying next to box) then we were to use our photo of pkg in our portfolio. I sent my dig file of my photo to Walmart to have printed. I was not happy with the lighting (could not read it very well) so I photoshopped to lighten up and resent two more times. I picked up this picture 3 times with no problem, when I went to pick it up the fourth time they pulled it out of envelope and I saw that it was finally good- so I was happy since I needed this photo for the following morning - then they told me they refuse to let me have it! WTF!!! telling me about copyright law, I kept explaining my story, and they would not listen, were completing uncooperative, and kept telling me to “have a nice day, goodbye” WTF!! they gave me a brochure about copyright (all it says is about not reprinting photogaphers pics) Does anyone know what in the world their problem was? my entire class had no problems with getting theirs printed. My professor is absolutely shocked. What was their problem? They did not give me a valid reason. Can anyone explain this? or are they just totally morons?:confused:

[QUOTE=morem;2269734]I am a student in Graphic Design. I had an assignment to redesign a package. I designed a package of Nutrigrain “organic” cereal bars (I made up the organic part). Using Adobe Illustrator I designed a box, it looks nothing like the original, I had it printed on card stock at OfficeMax then folded it up and taped it together. As part of our final portfolio show in school, all the students photographed their pkgs with props (I used wheat lying next to box) then we were to use our photo of pkg in our portfolio. I sent my dig file of my photo to Walmart to have printed. I was not happy with the lighting (could not read it very well) so I photoshopped to lighten up and resent two more times. I picked up this picture 3 times with no problem, when I went to pick it up the fourth time they pulled it out of envelope and I saw that it was finally good- so I was happy since I needed this photo for the following morning - then they told me they refuse to let me have it! WTF!!! telling me about copyright law, I kept explaining my story, and they would not listen, were completing uncooperative, and kept telling me to “have a nice day, goodbye” WTF!! they gave me a brochure about copyright (all it says is about not reprinting photogaphers pics) Does anyone know what in the world their problem was? my entire class had no problems with getting theirs printed. My professor is absolutely shocked. What was their problem? They did not give me a valid reason. Can anyone explain this? or are they just totally morons?:confused:[/QUOTE]

I say you deserve an A on that project…if you can impress the stupid cashier who is making 6.55 an hour and make them think its professional…then you have talent!! lmao…i’m laughing so hard right now…you got blocked by a lil kid for trying to do YOUR own work…lol now thats funny…

I mean its not like you can get a blank copywright form and cut and paste info in it…to look real these days…:rolleyes: and they let those pics get printed…