Photog New to DVD Burning has QC issues

vbimport

Hi all. I am a photographer based in Ireland. I have a new “business model” working with youth sports that means I will need to burn 20-30 DVD’s for each match that I shoot.
I am using ProShow to create an ISO file then ImgBurn to burn the DVD’s (MCC 03RG20) on a BenQ1625 - and that just about exhausts my knowledge of DVD burning! I did come across the Manufacturer ID issue and so got away from some cheaper brands to ones that were rated at least acceptable.

My issue is one of QC. I burned about 20 “good” DVD’s on Saturday afternoon with about 8 “bad” ones. In the process of checking (playing the DVD’s on a new, albeit cheap, home DVD player hoooked to my living room TV) the DVD’s that I burned, the “bad” ones would skip or pause. So, I would reject them. But, I did notice that if I rewound them and played through that part again, it would often play OK, but skip or pause at a later point. Which raises the question, “will the ones that I checked as “good” stay “good” or would they possibly skip if I watched them again?”

And so, my questions are all QC related. 1) Is there anything I can do (software, new burner, even better media) to decrease or even eliminate the “bad” burns. 2) What is the best way to QC DVD’s after burning? 3) Is there software that will “self check” during a burn so I don’t have to worry so much about QC? 4) Is there software that will QC the DVD after being burned so I don’t have to watch it in real time on the TV!!

I’ve really got to get a handle on these issues and so I really appreciate any input and advice.

Regards,
Tom

Hey Tom, welcome :slight_smile:

About the software disc-checking…CD-DVD Speed is great software for quality-checking your discs after they’ve been burned (the newest version is 4.51 I think - check them using your BenQ). Others will be able to tell you the correct speed to scan at, and the “acceptable” error levels for BenQ drives. :slight_smile:

Download here.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response!
Is that Nero’s CD-DVD Speed? I’ve got that but wasn’t sure how to use it? Should I run it on a burned DVD or a blank one?

Use a burned dvd- one that is skipping and one that is not and then one of us will walk you through the results data. You can even post an image of the scan and one of the really technical posters may be able to tell you what is happening down to the nth degree. BTW…another consideration…remember the old maxim: “crap in, crap out”. If you are using cheaper media you will get a higher number of failures. Also, try burning at a lower speed. For example, I always burn my movie disks at 4x…no matter what. :wink:

Stroppy beat me to it :bigsmile:…excellent advice in his post. Also, there’s a thread on deciphering the scans in the Blank Media forum. :slight_smile:

The media you’re using is said to be very good, though.

Stroppy, thanks, I’ll run a scan of a “good” and a “bad” one. Glad the hear that the media I’m using is OK. I was using cheaper media and did some research that helped me get something of a handle on that.
Also, I did slow down the burn to 2X. The show is normally pretty short so speed isn’t a huge consideration. But, then, I read somewhere that too slow can be a problem as well. Any concern there?
I’m scannning a couple of DVDs now. Sorry, what should I do with the results? Post here as a reply? Or elsewhere?

Thx,
Tom

Posting them in this thread would be fine, I should think. :slight_smile:

I use the +R flavour of your discs (MCC003), and they burn well at their rated speed. I’d try the burns at 4x, but I wouldn’t slow down any more than that. :slight_smile:

When you scan, there’s a little floppy-shaped icon in the top right of the window…click that, and it will save your scan as a .png file. Then attach to your reply using the “Manage Attachments” button below the message box. Browse to your saved scan, click “upload”, then submit as usual :slight_smile:

Try this forum or the blank media forum instead…more technical peers hang around in there and many are absolutely brilliant.
As to your speed question, stick to 4x…at least nothing above 8x.
The posting question…well, look in the forum to see how others have posted and you’ll get a handle on what to do. If you’re stuck, then say so in your post and someone better than I will help you. BTW, Arachne’s great at this sort of stuff, she is a wiz with blank media and burning issues/analysing q.scans.

Cough not BenQ ones…the criteria are different from LiteOn scans, which I make. :wink:

Edit: and I’m not even that good with Litey scans…I spend a lot of my time in Blank Media, soaking up the knowledge in there :iagree:

Believe it or not, now I’m having problems running a Nero CD-DVD Speed test. I keep getting a “Error. Invalid field in CDB(052400)” message. Anyone know what that is?
I’ll download a newer version of CD-DVD Speed from this site. I’m running 3.61 and I see where there is a newer version.
But, Stroppy, you mentioned posting in the Blank Media Forum. Are you pretty sure that is where my problem is?
Tom

Now I starting to suspect my DVD burner. I can’t scan a DVD! Failed several times on DVD’s I burned so I tried to scan/test a Microsoft DVD game that I have and got "Error. Unrecovered read error (031100).
I’ve got a second identical drive - don’t ask but I was having problems with the Lightscribe burner and got a second drive while the first was being repaired at BenQ.
I’m going to install it and see what I can do with it.
I’ll be back on this forum hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks to all.

Tom

Just thought of an additional thing…what firmware do you have on your BenQ(s)? Might be worth looking into an update. :slight_smile:

I’ve never slowed my burns down to 4x as stroppy recommends. This one area where there will never be a consensus of opinion.

Using quality media I’d always burn at the rated speed, except maybe 16x where 12x would be the speed of choice. Some media like Taiyo Yuden T02 which is rated at 8x will burn very well at 12 or 16x , especially on Benqs.

I think most members would go for the rated speed option but it’s an individual thing. Try it , do disc quality scans & reach your own conclusions.