(photo) What's this crud on my Fuji DVDs?

vbimport

The edges of all these discs are very bumpy. Maybe it’s just a sloppy job with the glue that sandwiches the two sides. If they’re just not wiping up the excess that leaks out the edge when they press them together, I suppose I can live with that, but I’m afraid that it has implications as to their quality control… it would mean that it’s possible for them to not put enough on and then the disc might delaminate, destroying the data that’s on it. Has anybody else seen anything like this?

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R00-01]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R00]
Product Revision : [01]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

all the dvd’s i’ve ever purchase (that i’ve noticed) look like the one’s you’re showing here. Not an expert in this so don’t know if it is in fact normal. Does anyone else here know?

Thanks for the input… I’m feeling a bit better :bigsmile:

BTW, what brands have you purchased?

I’m looking at Maxell +R 4X(Ricoh R01-02), FujiFilm +R 4X(Ricoh R01-02) but now that you’ve brought it to my attention, the Imation TDK and Memorex that I’ve purchased (all Ricoh +R 4X medi) don’t seem to have this odd bumpy stuff. Indeed this is intresting… I wonder what everyone else has to say about this… I’m hoping that this thread will attract more attension…

Sheesh if you think these RICOHJPN DVD+Rs are bad, you should see some of my CMC Magnetics CD-Rs!!! :a

RICOHJPNR01 media is very very good and I’ve never had a problem with it in any of my three DVD±RW drives. The bumps on the sides of the discs don’t affect recording as they are not on the recording surface itself, however, I do question their effect on the balance of the disc.

Thats normal for Ricoh plus media which those probably are. Excellent media in most drives so don’t worry about it, it’s also a way to tell if the disks in a cake box are probably Ricoh’s.

Originally posted by Dartman
Thats normal for Ricoh plus media which those probably are. Excellent media in most drives so don’t worry about it, it’s also a way to tell if the disks in a cake box are probably Ricoh’s.

Not completely true, as I stated before. ALL the media I ever buy is Ricoh +R and not all of it looks this way. And according to the INFO on the disks they’re all R01-02. This includes the one that has bumps and the one’s that do not. As far as write quality, there’s not mistake that the media is “GOOD” but my concern was as to what Okane786 said about long term quality. Are these things going to start unglueing? Plus why are they made like this, doesn’t look very good. Anyhow as I stated above all I buy is Ricoh, my burners seem to like it, my home player(s) seem to like it and it hasn’t given me any problems at all this far (over a year of use) so I don’t think i’m going to change my media use.

My 2x Verbatim’s, if anything, have an even lumpier edge, with swaying variations on the edge… seems to be on anything I have…

2x Verbatim

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AF1]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG. AF1]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

Also… my QP (Dodgy… for the birds, cheap media…)

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:AN31]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [AN31]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

Same lumpy edges…

Yeah, I’ve noticed the same with some of my Imation DVD+R media,
made by Ricoh/Ritek. No problems so far, but…

Could the glue have a negative effect on the disc balance when rotating at high speed :confused:

With Verbatim DVD+Rs 2.4x “Made in Singapore” I’ve never had any glue
at the outer edge. The “optical quality” of these discs seems to be higher :slight_smile:

Andy :smiley:

I have the same stuff on my Yaiyo Yuden’s. I hope this isn’t anything to worry about. :rolleyes:

All of the DVD-R blanks that I buy look like this. FYI, I’ve only bought Fujifilm branded Taiyo Yudens.

Each spindle of the Ritek G05’s i’v had have the bumpy edges and burn with no problems… :iagree:
A spindle of of G04’s were smooth though…