Phillips SPD2413P Crossflashing

vbimport

I have the Phillips SPD2413P Dvd burner. I have updated to GP03 from Phillips website and it burns dvd’s fine but wanted to know if there is any thing I can do to improve. For example crossflashing. I want to know if there is any compatible firmware I can use to crossflash this into a better drive ( benq)?

I have downloaded the eeprom utility 383. I just need a compatible drive firmware that can improve the drive. If there is not much improvement I do not want to risk it.

Do NOT crossflash. I repeat, do NOT crossflash. Upgrade to GP04 instead. You can find a link to the new firmware in the firmware announcements thread.

@ antivirus6613
SPD2413P can be crossflashed to either DW2000 or LH-20A1P. It’s better to use C0deKing’s EOHT firmware :wink:

@ negritude
Why not?

[QUOTE=Skylon;2023003]@ negritude
Why not?[/QUOTE]

1. GP04 stock works quite well. Cross-flashing is completely unnecessary.

2. Unless someone is familar with the consequences of cross-flashing, and is comfortable with the procedure, they may end up damaging their drive.

People shouldn’t cross-flash or use hacked firmware until they’ve become more expert with the ins and outs of drives. This person is not in that category.

I personally think it’s irresponsible to recommend more advanced procedures without taking into account the skill level and knowledge of the audience. Just saying use C0deKing’s this or cross-flash that to any and everybody is a bad idea.

That’s my philosophy and I’m sticking to it.

Since the OP had brought up the subject of crossflashing, there’s nothing wrong with Skylon’s advice.

[QUOTE=negritude;2023004]1. GP04 stock works quite well. Cross-flashing is completely unnecessary.

1. Unless someone is familar with the consequences of cross-flashing, and is comfortable with the procedure, they may end up damaging their drive.

People shouldn’t cross-flash or use hacked firmware until they’ve become more expert with the ins and outs of drives. This person is not in that category.

I personally think it’s irresponsible to recommend more advanced procedures without taking into account the skill level and knowledge of the audience. Just saying use C0deKing’s this or cross-flash that to any and everybody is a bad idea.

That’s my philosophy and I’m sticking to it.[/QUOTE]

If stock firmware works quite well, then why C0deKing spending his time making FB/EOS/EOHT firmware? :rolleyes:

If the OP doesn’t know the procedure of crossflashing, then we can guide him, at here, CDFreaks - Knowledge is Power. :slight_smile:

If he never tried to do something different (crossflashing), how could he be an expert? :bigsmile:

Crossflashing a SPD2413P to 20A1P/DW2000 isn’t that complicated, too!

I have crossflashed before on my other dvd burner because their company went out of business and I had no choice. If GP04 works well then I will just update to that. I don’t really need to crossflash if there is no major improvements.

Thanks for all your help.

Well, if you flash your drive to BenQ or Lite-ON firmware, you get:
OverSpeed, HyperTuning/SolidBurn, WOPC/Online HyperTuning which will improve the burning quality and handle unknown media well.

Even more, you can use the unofficial patched firmware from C0deKing which will allow more overspeeding (4X,8X media burning up to 16X, 16X media up to 20X).

Yet, if you use his FastBurn firmware, you save about 30 seconds at 12X burning. (Stock 12X should be 7mins+, FB/FBL firmware will do about 6:30min).

It’s not end there, with the EOHT firmware, the drive will check the media & adjust the writing laser power in shorter interval and high speed burning quality will be much improved.

That should be enough as an advertisment :bigsmile:

Ok I have the liteon fix eeprom utility and have backup’d my eeprom on my phillips now to crossflash I need the bin. Where can I get the bin and once getting the bin ( C0deKing’s bin) how do I flash?

In the eeprom utility click crossflash, upgrade drive, yes and then my current model and put the bin file?

No. You shouldn’t do anything else but backup your EEPROM with the EEPROM Utility right now [unless you clear your learned media]. Your drive model is already equal to that of a 20A1P/DW2000, so you need to do nothing else.

You will want to flash the proper firmware. You may do this with the Flash Utility found in the LiteOn forum. Download the firmware you want from the forum, unpack the .RAR [you should get individual executables–each named after the firmware it contains], and decide which firmware you want to flash. Then, open up the Flash Utility, click Write Flash, find the firmware on your computer, select it, and flash.

I am pretty sure that should work. If not, just come back, and we’ll guide you with a bit of assistance. :flower:

NOTE: Do NOT get the EEPROM Utility confused with the Flash Utilty, and do NOT get the firmware confused with the EEPROM. :wink:

Should I use LH-20A1P (KL0N FB FBL EOS EOHT III) or DW2000 (9B3E FB FBL ESB 6) from codeking?

[QUOTE=antivirus6613;2023602]Should I use LH-20A1P (KL0N FB FBL EOS EOHT III) or DW2000 (9B3E FB FBL ESB 6) from codeking?[/QUOTE]
Depends on the media you will be using. Try some of your media with LO f/w then try a few with BenQ f/w and see what you think :slight_smile:

Or see how you like GP04.

Looks like lite on has some more features so I am going to flash with that. If I do not like the lite on can I just flash it to Benq with the utility again? and back to GP03 if need be?

Hmm, I tried flashing with liteon and it says No matching Drives detected. This firmware is only for a Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1P.

Most probably you didn’t use Flash Utility, you just run the the .exe firmware, right?

1. Download Flash Utility
  2. Run Flash Utility, select your drive from the drop down list
  3. Click on “Write Flash”, select the firmware (accepts .exe and .bin)
  4. Press “OK” and wait for the flashing to complete, then reboot.

Yea, I just clicked on the exe. Ok which one should I do Eos-Eoht or FB-eos-eoht or fbl-eos-eoht?

[QUOTE=antivirus6613;2023814]Yea, I just clicked on the exe. Ok which one should I do Eos-Eoht or FB-eos-eoht or fbl-eos-eoht?[/QUOTE]Depends on your needs actually.

I just finished burning a plethora of data, with all perfect burns, and fast too. Just thought of you guys. Thanks for your help. I would be stuck with a crappy phillips firmware. Upgraded to KLON’s latest with EOS and EOHT and never had any problems since.

[QUOTE=antivirus6613;2172051]I would be stuck with a crappy phillips firmware.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Haha. Sorry to bump this thread after such a long time. Just thought that Klon firmware was nice. Maybe got a little too excited :-p.