Phillips SDVD8431 3 Limited Region changes? how do i make multi region?

vbimport

Hi all

This is my first post. I’m from the UK and I must say firstly i am not that technically minded, but i can battle through any advice given. I have just bought myself a Fujitsu Amilo laptop, that came complete with a Phillips SDVD 8431 dvd player / writer. Im pretty dissapointed with the whole set up in all honesty, its taken me ages just to get things to work, not just with the burner. I installed the firmware thing and it finally burnt a cd ok for the first time today.

I bought the machine to watch dvds on while i am away from home, i have a huge collection from all round the world, although watching a region 1 for the first time last night i had to physically change the region code. To my dismay the Phillips player has a caution message telling me i can only change the region code 3 times then it is stuck in whatever i had it on last?

This seems unbelievable to me - why only 3 times?, it didnt say this was an issue when i bought the laptop…

Anyways, im wondering if you good people could tell me if there is a way to make this a perminant multi region device?

Any help would be appreciated, before i throw this laptop in the bin

Thanks

Dee

This seems unbelievable to me - why only 3 times?, it didnt say this was an issue when i bought the laptop…

Not unbelievable at all since ALL pc drives have a limit of 5 region code changes. It didn’t say it was an issue because it’s not an issue per se, it’s the standard.

you can check to see if a rpc-1 firmware is available for your drive. this will make the drive recognize all regions. please note that flashing with unofficial firmware (ie f/w not from the manufacturer) will void your warranty.

if this firmware is not available or you do not want to void your warranty, try out a program like anydvd. there is a 21 day fully functional free trial available from www.slysoft.com. this program will make the disc appear region free to your computer (which is only one of its valuable uses)

IIRC there are only 4 region changes possible (one [default] region is set at installation).

There is no region free firmware available for this drive yet. :sad:
Request has been done at rpc1.org .

nice 1 lads, trying anydvd seems ok, didnt realise this was an industry standard issue, its crazy if you ask me. i mean you get 3 or 5 changes - why give you the option at all? i understand the powers that be are trying to control video piracy but what if i travel to 3 different global regions every year and only buy dvds in that country to watch whilst there - on my third trip to that country i legally wont be able to watch a dvd i have bought. its lunacy, anyway cheers lads.

Because of the global nature of PC production and so there is no gaurantee that a PC made in one region will not be sold in another.

Pinto I have 5 as there isn’t one set at the time.OEM drives also have 5.

Region change rules are [I]universal[/I].
In other words, the same goes for all DVD players/ DVD-ROM’s /DVDRW, as soon as you start to play encoded DVD. (Note, since 1999 all drives/player are set to rpc2 per default.)

If your DVDRW is retail/OEM/rebadged or whatever has nothing to do with it.

pinto: my 1655 has 5 changes remaining.

the first time you put in a dvd it will ask to be changed to that region, but i think if you’ve never inserted a dvd without anydvd running (as this drive is new, anydvd has been on every time i’ve put a disc in) then it just plays it without asking for the region code.

all drives are shipped with no region code selected and 5 changes available. once you select that first region code then you’re down to 4.

although after a bit of thinking, it’s possible that factory built systems have the drive region chances set upon delivery, but i wouldn’t know beacuse nothing in my computer is the same as it was in the factory. it’s like that philosphy problem…at what point does the boat become a different boat if you keep replacing the wooden planks…

and lasses :slight_smile:

pinto: my 1655 has 5 changes remaining.
:stuck_out_tongue: Ofcourse, default (your) region is not set yet… :smiley:
Try to run AnyDVD on a DVD player.

all drives are shipped with no region code selected and 5 changes available. once you select that first region code then you’re down to 4.
Region code is not “selected” in drive. :bigsmile:
And you are wrong at one important point because “since 1999 all drives/player are set to rpc2 per default”.

Edited to clarify, I hope.

haha semantics…you get what i meant as far as “drives being shipped”

you obviously can’t select the region if the drive isn’t in a device. my info pertains only to computer drives and not players as i have very little knowledge on standalone players except that mine works and that’s all I care about :wink:

the fact that my default region code is not set is exactly my point…i have 5 changes remaining, hence i received my drive with 5 changes available.

also, can you explain “since 1999 all drives/player are set to rpc2 per default”?

doesn’t rpc2 just refer to the fact that the drive is not region free (rpc1)? I assumed that all rpc2 meant is that the drive can only read one region code at a time without changing the region of the drive itself. This doesn’t affect the number of changes that you receive…or maybe I missed the point?

I suggest you to use search/google next time :wink: (I’m at work now).

Regarding “rpc2 and 1999”, here is one link (out of many in google). :bigsmile:

BTW, you are not the “only one”… :smiley:

BTW your not the “only 2” :stuck_out_tongue:

Howdee pinto2 from tornado land