Phillips IDE cdr/rw trouble

vbimport

I am currently working with a Gateway computer the has a Phillips IDE cdr/rw in it. The problem is the cd tray cycles in and out, none stop. I have corrected alot of software issues with it. The only time it slows down is when running a scan utility such as Ad-Ware and Nortons. Is there a possibility I am missing a software problem, or is it just a hardware problem. Thanks for any help

Strange problem. I had a Philips for a while. It was a POS!
My only suggestion would be to start in safe mode and look for multiple instances of the drive in device manager, if more than one delete all and restart. If that doesn’t help, uninstall the ide that the drive is on and let windows reinstall it.

There are several possible causes, the one which affected me most was a very slightly loose IDE connector.

The other reasons are that the jumper has fallen off (it does happen), the IDE srivers have fallen over (look in Device Manager under system devices for any disaffected bits) and the PnP Enumerator has fallen over or the device is simply bung.

Perhaps the recalibration trick every Philips cd-writer has will help , but i’m not sure.

Howto:

1 - Power down your system
2 - Press the eject button of your philips cd-writer and KEEP PRESSING IT
3 - Power up your system , still pressing the eject button. Do NOT let your operating system start. Press PAUSE to stop the Power On Self Test (POST) or enter your bios/setup.
4 - See all the leds on the writer flash back and forth. You can now let go of the eject button. The cd tray will eject. It is now recalibrated
5 - Let go of eject button and press it once again to put the tray back in the writer
6 - Power down your system
7 - Power up your system
8 - Boot to your operating system in safe mode and check out the reading capabilities of the writer
9 - If correct , reboot in normal mode and check out the reading and writing capabilities of the writer.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Perhaps the recalibration trick every Philips cd-writer has will help , but i’m not sure.

Howto:

1 - Power down your system
2 - Press the eject button of your philips cd-writer and KEEP PRESSING IT
3 - Power up your system , still pressing the eject button. Do NOT let your operating system start. Press PAUSE to stop the Power On Self Test (POST) or enter your bios/setup.
4 - See all the leds on the writer flash back and forth. You can now let go of the eject button. The cd tray will eject. It is now recalibrated
5 - Let go of eject button and press it once again to put the tray back in the writer
6 - Power down your system
7 - Power up your system
8 - Boot to your operating system in safe mode and check out the reading capabilities of the writer
9 - If correct , reboot in normal mode and check out the reading and writing capabilities of the writer. [/B]

If I had this info before I might not of used my Philips for an anchor!:a