Phillips DVP5140 Standalone DVD Player Doesn't Play DLs?

My Phillips DVP5140 standalone DVD player wasn’t playing DL DVDs I burned.

I checked the model on the list on CD Freaks and DL is not listed as compatible media.

So is that it? They just won’t play? I don’t understand that. How can a major manufacturer like Phillips just ignore DL DVDs?

Are there any other mfgrs that don’t play DLs? I’d like to know what mfgs to avoid purchasing in the future.

I have a DVP3962 that takes a while to load some DLs, but it eventually does & then plays with no problem. How much time do you give it to load?

Hi,
My DVP5140 lately has been taking a long time and then stating there is no disk when it is a home-burned DL. I tried again several times and once it took it. I recall now that it used to accept DLs when I first got it.

Are you closing the disc after burning them? Some players won’t play a certain type of disc unless they have been closed.

Hi,
I use ImgBrn. It never says anything about closing so I don’t know about that.
Tom

Usually there is an option to close the disc after burning. This allows it to be read by most players and drives. Not closing it allows you to add files later but also reduces the discs reading compatibility in many players and drives. Closing the disc means you can’t add any more files to it. Check and see that you are closing out the discs as part of the burning process.

[QUOTE=TomBrooklyn;2201897]My Phillips DVP5140 standalone DVD player wasn’t playing DL DVDs I burned.

I checked the model on the list on CD Freaks and DL is not listed as compatible media.

So is that it? They just won’t play? I don’t understand that. How can a major manufacturer like Phillips just ignore DL DVDs?

Are there any other mfgrs that don’t play DLs? I’d like to know what mfgs to avoid purchasing in the future.[/QUOTE]

DLs are produced in two different techniques.
Verbatim/MKM uses the more expensive and proven one, Ricoh and other producers using a cheap but not that reliable version…

@utr: Hi. ImgBrn specializes in burning backups of full DVDs–most commonly feature length movies and TV episodes DVDs etc. There is no option for adding more files later. I would assume from your description that it closes the disks automatically. I’ve burned many other disks with it also, and then generally play properly.