Phillips 40x

I got one of the on-sale 100 ct spindles of these, boy was I surprised at the burning tests I did. They are really good CD’s, so far almost no errors at 40x and even 48x looks good in bothe WSES and CDSpeed.

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 26s 66f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = CMC,Imation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X

So how come CMC can’t make them this good all the time. Is there really different mfg specs for the different brands? Or are some brands just packaging low-speed stuff with high-speed ratings?
The imation 40x is useless, these are really good…what gives?

Maybe it’s another CMC. Did you compare the ATIP numbers? CMC makes different types i think…

I was going to get those(50pk not 100pk) but I got these TDK’s instead thinking they would be better. They’re also CMC look at the info:

SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

These Phillips are far and away the best CMC I’ve tested, and I’ve tested a few. Just looking at the scans, i wouldn’t believe they’re CMC, and so far have been consistant. (burned ~12).
For $.30 per disc, ($.10 if i get the rebate), they’re pretty good.
I would like to hear from some other LiteOn owners if they are as well received by their burners.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]I got one of the on-sale 100 ct spindles of these, boy was I surprised at the burning tests I did. They are really good CD’s, so far almost no errors at 40x and even 48x looks good in bothe WSES and CDSpeed.

So how come CMC can’t make them this good all the time. Is there really different mfg specs for the different brands? Or are some brands just packaging low-speed stuff with high-speed ratings?
The imation 40x is useless, these are really good…what gives? [/B]

When you want to lower the cost of CDR production, what you get is less consistent quality, not bad quality on ALL the discs. Also CMC do have about 35 lines that can produce very high quality stuff on a regular basis. The best examples are the 48X CDRs liteon bundles with their drives, and the 40X rated super Azo HGX disc.

Another note on how Ritek and CMC distribute their discs.
The very best stuff are for the Japanese market.
2nd line stuff for US
then EU
then Austrailia and NZ
(its already pretty bad here)
Then the B grade and lower stuff are dumped else where.

Now the problem is that because the dumped stuff are cheap, some biz people then imported them into the EU/US market (Japanese have the ability to check the quality of their burns like 3 years ago, so low quality stuff is a hard sell there) and thats where one often gets shitty stuff.

I think we’re also seeing old (16x, 24x) media getting recycled as “32x” or “40x” media by companies like Imation, TDK and others - CMC dumping old stock. I’ve tried every 40x rated media I can find in stores here, the Phillips and Fuji are the only ones so far that even come close to the claim.

Thankfully, here in Brazil we almost don’t get CMCs :slight_smile: So the “last-grade stuff” definitely doesn’t come here… The only CMCs here are (imported from US, not locally packed) Imations, which are pretty bad and MORE EXPENSIVE THAN KODAKS!

But same lead-in times doesn’t necessarily reflect same product line, as you can see, both the Philips and the Imation have the same number, but one is SB-32x and the other is SB-48x.

I also purchased the 100pk of Phillips from CompUSA. $19 with a $19 mail-in rebate, hell why not? I over-burned a 709MB mpeg file @48X in 2:55. Nero’s scnadisk reported 0% damage 0% unreadable. Don’t know too much about media but it seems this particular run of discs from CMC was done well.

it seems this particular run of discs from CMC was done well.

I continue to get consistant results from this spindle. There are a few random C2 errors, but not enough to worry about. I still use TY for the important stuff, but these are by far the best “cheap” media I’ve tried. Perfect for everyday use. I got screwed though. had to pay a whopping $.10 per disc for them.

tdk rated at 40x from compusa were cmc. my 48125w burned them at 48x with no errors per nero info tool. also had imation from best buy with no visible rating burned at 40x (cmc also). except for the longevity part of it, i think that it’s the burner that makes the biggest difference. firmware has a big part of it also, of course. these were with vs04. i have some maxell 24x’s that will burn at 40x also. this burner is hot!!! luv it. and on the subject of longevity, i’m with those that could care less if it lasts 100 or 300 yrs. 20-30 is all that’s necessary. hell, 5-10 would be ok. i can copy what i want to keep with cheap disks and not have too much worry about that aspect of things.

nevergiveupnevergiveupnevergiveup!!!

Well, guys thanks for the input! In todays ad at Staples, they are showing Phillips 40x, 100 spindle for 9.94 AFTER 20 buck rebate. I ran a search here to find out any comments and RD’s post came right up. Seems this is a good buy, so may have a new spindle on my desk soon. These are the first 40x disks I’ve seen locally.

PatG
Please check back and let us know how the media measures up. specifically, error rates. It would be nice if these were not just a fluke but are consistant.

Just so we are all on the same page, here is a pic. If you’ve bought these and they look different, please reply,

http://r1.shatteredimages.com/pics/philips.jpg

RD and Earl: Didn’t get to take a look today, but plan on doing so tomorrow. Thanks for the pic Earl, will give me something to compare. Will advise y’all tomorrow! :bigsmile:

Originally posted by idiot@ace

Another note on how Ritek and CMC distribute their discs.
The very best stuff are for the Japanese market.
2nd line stuff for US
then EU
then Austrailia and NZ
(its already pretty bad here)
Then the B grade and lower stuff are dumped else where.

This is my cmc disk.

I used plextor1210S to burn and scandisk is 0, error free.
But when I scan with wses(c1/c2) they have high c1 count.
Scandisk ok doesn’t equal to good cdr quality.

A typical scan…some media is just crap, You do not state what brand this disc was. C1 errors are not too big a problem, but a quality media will not have that many.

I also got the 100pk of 40x Phillips at BB free after rebate. ATIP data ended up being exactly the same as some 12x Imations, which was exactly the same as some 16x Imations.

Originally posted by zanwang
[B]
This is my cmc disk.

I used plextor1210S to burn and scandisk is 0, error free.
But when I scan with wses(c1/c2) they have high c1 count.
Scandisk ok doesn’t equal to good cdr quality. [/B]

in case you don’t visit your local forums

forum.pcdvd.com.tw

and

www.pczone.com.tw

are good sources for what to buy in Taiwan.

Originally posted by EarlThePearl R1
[B]Just so we are all on the same page, here is a pic. If you’ve bought these and they look different, please reply,

Earl, got 'em today and the only difference is the color of the stripe. From what you sent me, the color looks maroon, mine is blue w/the identical writing and identification marks. Does this color have a significance? If so, what is it?

Originally posted by PatG
[B]

Earl, got 'em today and the only difference is the color of the stripe. [/B]

Actually, that is red. You’ll have to excuse the POS digital camera I have. But far from blue. Don’t know if that makes a difference. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.