Philips SPD2413BM - 20x PATA - $23.99 - Free Shipping - NewEgg

The drive might be cross-flashable to a BenQ DW2000 or a Lite-On 20A1P, but all I found after searching the CDFreaks forums were a bunch of noncommittal answers and nothing truly definitive. :confused:

Apparently, the DW2000 has been flashed with 20A4P firmware.

And the 2413 has also been flashed with 20A4P firmware and worked very well.

And of course, for those that do not know, the 20A1P flashes to the 20A4P also.

Let me see now – it was late fall of 2002 that I paid $349 for my first DVD burner, a Sony 4x model. That was one of the first (if not the first – anyone remember?) dual mode (-R and +R) burners. And now we see burners going for $23.99 shipped and no one gets excited.

I remember that earlier (spring of 2002) I had contemplated purchasing a +RW model for around $500, but held off, waiting for a better deal. I guess now we have the better deals…

[QUOTE=HenryNettles;1970486]…And now we see burners going for $23.99 shipped and no one gets excited.[/QUOTE]

If it was a BenQ DW1640, DW1650, or DW1655 for $23.99 I’ll bet we’d be excited. :iagree:

The level of excitement related to DVD burners isn’t just about price. :disagree:

Other than the Samsung SH-203B and SH-203N, there aren’t any burners worthy of getting excited about anymore. :sad:

[QUOTE=negritude;1970513]If it was a BenQ DW1640, DW1650, or DW1655 for $23.99 I’ll bet we’d be excited. :iagree:

The level of excitement related to DVD burners isn’t just about price. :disagree:

Other than the Samsung SH-203B and SH-203N, there aren’t any burners worthy of getting excited about anymore. :sad:[/QUOTE]

I’ll be excited if I see the SATA version of BenQ 1640, 1655
no more PATA drives for me since most newer motherboard does not have legacy IDE controllers.

[quote=HenryNettles;1970486]Let me see now – it was late fall of 2002 that I paid $349 for my first DVD burner, a Sony 4x model. That was one of the first (if not the first – anyone remember?) dual mode (-R and +R) burners. And now we see burners going for $23.99 shipped and no one gets excited.

I remember that earlier (spring of 2002) I had contemplated purchasing a +RW model for around $500, but held off, waiting for a better deal. I guess now we have the better deals…[/quote]

Going even further back, I remember getting my first Yamaha 4x SCSI CD burner for about $400 at CompUSA…back when CompUSA was a cool store…

Now that was a while ago in the disc era…CompUSA has sucked for many years.

[QUOTE=semp;1970729]Going even further back, I remember getting my first Yamaha 4x SCSI CD burner for about $400 at CompUSA…back when CompUSA was a cool store…

Now that was a while ago in the disc era…CompUSA has sucked for many years.[/QUOTE]

I paid $700 for the external scsi version of 416T Yamaha drive, 4X writes and 16X read. I paid $500 for a sony scsi 2X burner that was using Caddy

Wow! I wonder what model mine was, maybe similar? I still have it somewhere.

Which one did you get first? The $500 caddy? What year?

I had a caddy loading, 2x, SCSI cd burner made by Sony. If I remember right, I paid more than $500, something like $650 or so. I cannot for the life of me remember what year that was. Blank cds cost $6 each, I clearly remember that.

[QUOTE=semp;1970991]Wow! I wonder what model mine was, maybe similar? I still have it somewhere.

Which one did you get first? The $500 caddy? What year?[/QUOTE]

Around 1996, if I remember correctly, I was running toshiba 8X CD-ROM and 16X Toshiba CD-ROM made in Japan, and Western Digital 1gb hard drive with 2mb Matrox Millenium, I went all out on my system

Speaking of scsi drives, I still have a plextor 8X and Traxdata 4X burner. The traxdata burner I flashed the firmware to TEAC since it is made in Teac. Here is the picture of it: