Philips PCRW404, the 'Disk in' light keeps blinking, and the system locks up

Hi ppl, does anyone know why, every time i insert a CD into my fu&#* Philips PCRW404, the ‘Disk in’ light kepps blinking, and the system locks up completely? And when, by luck I can get a CD in and the system does not lock up, I keep getting “logical block adress out of range”, and ‘buffer underun’, errors with CD birning programs (CDRWIn, Fireburner, Blindwrite etc)? The ASPI (forced) is functional, and this drive does not require any drivers…

(I’m very close to throwing this piece of ---- in the trash, and buying a new one…)

Thanks for any help…

perhaps the fw is bad. I don’t know how you could test it other than flashing your drive. If you want to search the forum on how to do it.

er… what is fw?

Originally posted by TheOne
er… what is fw?

FirmWare

Hi ppl, does anyone know why, every time i insert a CD into my fu&#* Philips PCRW404, the ‘Disk in’ light kepps blinking, and the system locks up completely?

I had a Sony CD-Rom drive making the same thing. And I opened it to see how it’s made. :bigsmile: But maybe you are lucky if it’s still recognize some CD.

It could be the drive just dying on you. Do you know someone else has a pc, you can test it that way. If you dont then you can take it to a computer store and have a tech test it for you.

Make sure the cables (the ribbon and the power cable) are plugged in.