Philips or BenQ?

Hey,

I’m about to buy some new DVD-R’s, but i’m not sure if i’d take BenQ or Philips ?!

The mediacode on the BenQ = DAXONO08S
The mediacode on the philips = unknown according to the selling webshop, but in some reviews i read that it’s Fujifilm03

I’ve got the NEC 4550A Writer by the way!

Both Media are about the same price :slight_smile:

And… another question … if i’m buying from CDRWinkel (.com… don’t want to spam or something heh), which should i buy? +R or -R ?! I’ve done some research but it doesnt really clear up things…

if I’m not wrong NEC writers work great with Verbatim/MCC, so i would buy them. i’m using BenQ/DAXON008S (-R) with my BenQ1640 and i have very good results, but i use them only for not very important data. BTW Verbatim/MCC are almost at the same price

I’m only using my Writer for DVD’s (Which i sell occasionally… hehe). So I don’t want to go off and buying those expensive brands like Verbatim/TY etc…

I have really bad experiences with the following Philips discs. When I say bad, I mean I bought a spindle of 50 and burnt 40 frisbees:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:INFOME-R20-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Infomedia Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [INFOME]
Media Type ID : [R20]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

These are (ugly) silver discs with black lettering.

I’ve had good experiences with the following BenQ discs (meaning no frisbees):

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:DAXON-AZ2-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Daxon Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [DAXON]
Media Type ID : [AZ2]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

These are white discs with a bit of blue design on the left side.

The burner I’m using is a Liteon LDW-851SX (the x for external USB) with the GS0P firmware. I’ve recently crossflashed this to CG5J and the Philips are still crap. :a

depends on what Philips you get. i had Philips 8x +R/CMC MAGE01, they were good. but there are too many possibilities, especially +R 8x (-R 8x / +R 8x ), so it’s hard to say what you get and that’s the point. don’t know how much is -R 16x, but it should be MCC03RG20 or CMCMAGAM3

I don’t think it is the discs so much as your writer not liking these discs. They burn quite nicely on BenQ DW 1620/1640 writers if I remember correctly.

Easy solution? Sell them off to some friend who has one of those two writers.

Yes infomedia’s support sucks but then again Philips only uses them for +R.
I do have to say that the infomedia disc’s philips uses are quite good made.
So with a drive (Benq/Philips !) that supports these they are a option.
Comming back to topic.
FUJIFILM in philips case can be Ritek or MBIL made which both behave slightly different. Both disc’s are nice bonded (RITEK very good but MBIL still fine !) but support is so so.
DAXON has better support in most cases but I’ve seen quite some problems with bonding for Daxon media.

Some folks will probally recommend you to go for the blank silver TYG02 disc’s they currently sell at cdrwinkel but I personally have way to much bonding issues with TY.

hmm Personally I would go for the 8x verbatims (MCC02RG20) but hey that’s just me.

It was my writer not liking the discs, my new LiteOn SOHW-1673SX likes them :slight_smile: