Philips launches the Philips Intelligent Agent for optical drives

vbimport

I just posted the article Philips launches the Philips Intelligent Agent for optical drives.

Whenever a  consumer purchases a new DVD writer, the firmware included on the DVD writer  will have the optimal write strategy for majority of media available at the time  the firmware was...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11754-Philips-launches-the-Philips-Intelligent-Agent-for-optical-drives.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11754-Philips-launches-the-Philips-Intelligent-Agent-for-optical-drives.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Samsung have been running a similar thing for a wee while now, and although I don’t like to use it because of the background processes issue, it is a good idea.

I just tried out the tool and I must admit it works flawlessly. I have two Philips drives connected to my PC and finding and downloading the correct Firmware was really easy. In a matter of minutes all my drives were up-to-date. It’s really very nice cause in fact I gave up updating my drives some time ago because it was such a hassle. All in all I was impressed with the flexibility and user friendliness of this utility. Being a software developer myself I must say they did a great job.

Is it just me, or does it seem like this is a TAD of an overkill? I mean, if every piece of hardware (or at least the major ones like vid card, audio card, NIC card, etc.) starts putting its own little live update check utility in users’ trays, the “average” user will be adding even more icons (representing background tasks!) to his/her ever growing system tray… I think the solution here is for hardware manufacturers, including those of optical drives, to SIMPLY start putting a BIG label on the box of the products they sell: “THIS DEVICE BENEFITS FROM UPDATES TO ITS FIRMWARE AND/OR DRIVERS. PLEASE CONSULT THE INCLUDED MANUAL/SOFTWARE FOR MORE INFORMATION” Well, you all get the point… You know, help the customer help himself for once, not help them in spite of themselves…

Keeping the agent resident in the system tray is just a feature users can enable if they don’t want to worry about anything. However, the fact remains that without the agent end-users still have to manually look up their product ID and then compare the installed firmware revision with the latest one released. The core functionality of the agent is the ability to check if your devices are up-to-date with a SINGLE click. If someone does not like running it all the time in memory they can simply choose not to enable this functionality and perform the check manually from time to time. Either way, the agent completely eliminates the time-consuming process of searching for the correct update on the manufacturer’s web site.

This is a standard feature with many hardware and software items now. Philips are just making more noise about it than other manufacturers.

I agree… e.g. Plextools XL has added this feature long time ago for Plextor drives…:g

But the Plextools XL is NOT a free program :wink:

I guess that makes it even worse, People who try to make a living, invent, and show these features to good use, and btw. these are exactly the same bunch of features all together, from Plextor, it’s just piracy, i hope Plextor sue them, Plextor has a strong case in that…

I guess that makes it even worse, People who try to make a living, invent, and show these features to good use, and btw. these are exactly the same bunch of features all together, from Plextor, it’s just piracy, i hope Plextor sue them, Plextor has a strong case in that…

I guess that makes it even worse, People who try to make a living, invent, and show these features to good use, and btw. these are exactly the same bunch of features all together, from Plextor, it’s just piracy, i hope Plextor sue them, Plextor has a strong case in that…:d