Philips laptop dvd region code..thing

Hello,
I read on a site that Cdfreaks had codes to unlock laptop dvd region things? My laptop is a Philips Freevents Genuine Intel® CPU. Dunno if that’s enough info, I’m incredibly computer illiterate so any help would be much appreciated! Cheers me dears

Welcome to CD Freaks :wink:

We don’t have quite enough information to help, unfortunately. Which model number of Philips laptop is this (X51, X56 etc)?

Are you running Vista or Windows XP?

If you go into Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager… and then click on DVD/CD-ROM drives; what is the make and model number displayed?

Ahh that’s helpful… it’s Philips DVD+RW SDVD8820. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! No worries if you don’t have the code, but cheers for the help anyway.

PS it’s XP!

Hmmm… this is going to be a tough one :frowning:

Laptop drives have their firmware tailored to the manufacturer; in this case obviously Philips. So any region-freeing firmwares from elsewhere might make the drive inoperable.

According to this threadon [I][B]rpc1.org[/B][/I], the drive is actually manufactured by Quanta Storage Incorporated (QSI): model SDW-085 and who seem to be notoriously bad for providing updates.

Unfortunately I think your only reliable option is to use something like AnyDVD from SlySoft: a system driver with a minor function that removes region control from most drives. You have to pay for it but it will remove pretty much all DVD copy protections and enable you to back up your own DVDs. It comes well-recommended here and elsewhere.

Maybe our resident [B][I]rpc1[/I][/B] expert [B]chef[/B] can give us a better insight :slight_smile:

thanks for all that info! i’ll get anydvd (if it isn’t too expensive) and hopefully watch dvds to my hearts content :slight_smile:

thanks for all that info! i’ll get anydvd (if it isn’t too expensive) and hopefully watch dvds to my hearts content :slight_smile: