Philips DVP642 - universal remotes don't work

I have tried the Philips codes that came with my very new Toshiba TV and with my Sony 5-device universal remote. None work with the DVP642 dvd player. Toshiba gave me a dozen more codes to try but none worked.
I really like the remote that came with the TV. The Sony universal is nice too. It’s really annoying that Philips has apparently changed their remote DVD codes but not told anyone. Their customer support has no suggestions.

I have an All4One Universal Remote and am using the code for a Marantz DVD Player to control the Philips DVP642.

I’m not familiar with that remote. I have a Sony Remote Commander, an RCA Universal, and the 4-way remote that came with my Toshiba TV. None of them show codes for Marantz DVDs. However, your comment gives me a lead. At least I can now re-contact the manufacturers of the remotes I have and ask if they have a Marantz code. The problem before was that they did have a Philips code, but it didn’t work.

Thank you.

I never found the All4One. However, I did find the Kameleon One For All URC9960. This sounds close to the All4One but is now available only in an 8 device version for about $60. This is the best universal remote I’ve ever seen. It has multiple possible codes for Philips DVDs. The one that worked is (as Psircuitry suggested) the same as for Marantz.
The Kameleon is so good because of two reasons. First, the available “buttons” depend on the item being controlled. When you are controlling the TV, there are no forward/back buttons. This makes it much less confusing in regular use.
The second reason is programmability/macros. If your unit has some special functions, you can put these on the Kameleon. My VCR has a “commercial skip” button and “Index search forward/back” in addition standard fast forward/reverse buttons. I added these to the Kameleon. A macro I set up turns on my TV, goes to Input mode, and selects my DVD player for input.
Once the macros/programmed buttons are set, it is much easier for other people to use the remote than any standard universal remote.

$14.99 at Walgreens. Have DVP642, Sanyo VCR, Toshiba 3900, 27" Toshiba TV and Yahama receiver programed. DVP642 is programmed as “DVD”…Toshiba 3900 as “CBL”…Yamaha as “SAT”… and of course 27" Toshiba TV as “TV”.

Had to use “learning mode” to get all functions- took 5 hours (but I was “Absente”…YMMMV).

If you had posted sooner I could have saved $50! However, I still like the Kameleon because it really lets me access all the features of my equipment. For example, my VCR has three fast forward modes, regular, index search, and channel skip, and two fast reverse. I’ve never seen a universal remote with that many options. With the Kameleon, I’ve got them all. Similarly, the DVD mode gives me dedicated “buttons” (touch screen points) for Subtitles and Audio tracks, plus separate Fast Forward/Reverse, Next segment, Step Forward/Reverse, etc.

I bought one of these DVD player without a remote for a very good price.
Does anyone know of a cheap remote under $15 that would allow me to access the system menu(to change audio/video settings)?
Thanks

:bow: Need help on the DVP642, does anybody knows the SONY TV remote controller code for the DVP642. I lost the original remote for the DVP642… :sad:

since half the internet can’t find the codes for this and I just found them after looking all over. I’ll bump this thread.

Philips gave me a master list for all devices (If you’ve got a philips something it should work with one below)

002,009,020,109,122,202,209,210,222,310,402,408,422,508,510,807,822,901,914,917,919,922

said try that.

002 worked for me on my player…

[QUOTE=S14Wolf;1918599]since half the internet can’t find the codes for this and I just found them after looking all over. I’ll bump this thread.

Philips gave me a master list for all devices (If you’ve got a philips something it should work with one below)

002,009,020,109,122,202,209,210,222,310,402,408,422,508,510,807,822,901,914,917,919,922

said try that.

002 worked for me on my player…[/QUOTE]

I started this thread a couple of years ago. Now I only have as a universal remote the one that came with my Toshiba TV. Unfortunately, none of those Philips codes work with the Philips DVP642 that I still have.

Anyway, thanks for trying, S14Wolf.

The code is 757 with the remote SONY RM-Y181 or RM-Yxxx