Philips DVDRW 1640P & Datawrite Titanium DVD-R

Hi

Newbie here who has just installed a Philips 1640P DVD Writer. I have a number (in fact quite a lot)of Datawrite Titanium DVD-R discs but the writer fails to recognise them.
Whether I use DVD decrypter, Nero or DVD Santa I get nothing. Are these discs no good with this writer or is there something I can do?

Your help is much appreciated for a damsel in distress!

Thank you in advance

Angel x

Welcome to the forums Angel.

Datawrite disks are generally OK, but this can vary depending on manufacturer & media code. (Use Nero CD-DVD Speed to check - Disc Info tab - Manufacturer & MID). You can only do this if you have a second drive which recognises the disks.

Your should also check the drives firmware to ensure the latest version is installed - I think it’s 3.6 ?. (Use Nero Burning Rom - Recorder - Choose Recorder and highlight your 1640P).

As a final option you could crossflash your 1640p to a Benq 1620 - threads seem to suggest this is OK with datawrite media but be careful, if you go wrong you may kill your drive :sad: and your warranty will be invalid.

Thank you for the reply

Neither of ny drives - My other is listed as ATAPI DVDROM 16x! - show this disc as inserted!

Whats the chances of this cross flash failing? And how do I do it?

Would I be better getting discs that work with the Philips (which is at the latest firmware) and can you suggest some please?

The datawrite discs do show as working on my Compaq laptop!

Thank you

AngelB x

So are they already burned/recorded or not??

No they are blank

Sorry for being a bit blonde!

Angel x

Hi

Newbie here who has just installed a Philips 1640P DVD Writer. I have a number (in fact quite a lot)of Datawrite Titanium DVD-R discs but the writer fails to recognise them.
Whether I use DVD decrypter, Nero or DVD Santa I get nothing. Are these discs no good with this writer or is there something I can do?

Your help is much appreciated for a damsel in distress!

Neither of ny drives - My other is listed as ATAPI DVDROM 16x! - show this disc as inserted!

Whats the chances of this cross flash failing? And how do I do it?

Would I be better getting discs that work with the Philips (which is at the latest firmware) and can you suggest some please?

The datawrite discs do show as working on my Compaq laptop!

Thank you in advance

AngelB x

I have no problem with that. :wink:

Seems that your Lappy’s drive has already a suitable firmware applied and your P1640 has not. What firmware is on the 1640?
You could find it out by using msinfo32, Nero Infotool, DVDInfo, Nero, Discinfo etc.
Firmwares for your drive are listed here: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1941

Also have a look into the Benq/Philips subforum if possible.

An DVD-ROM cannot recognize nor “read” BLANKS.

PS: Which Datawrite Titaniums do you have?
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=Datawrite+Titanium&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=1&size=All&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=25&country=&search=Search+or+List+Media

The philips firmware is the latest 3.6!

Angel x

philips Dvdr1640p/pbdv1640p (benq Dw1620)

True. 3.6 is latest.

Also I don’t know if this is relevant - a successful disc written on the laptop using the datawrite dvd-r shows and is readable using Nero toolkit!

Angelb x

Maybe you should try other media with your P1640.
They come with different mediacodes & qualities, see my link above.

There’s no need to cross post, it is also againt the rules.

@AngelB: Welcome to CDFreaks. Multiple posts or thread will generate more work for our valuable members who may offer the same answer that has already been made in the other thread. By keeping your question in one thread, all possible solutions are keep together and stayed focus. Your other thread has been merged here.
Please do not crosspost in the future. :cop: