Since updating my DVDR75 to Philips latest downloadable firmware, I have been experiencing no end of problems accessing, playing or recording discs with sporadic, frequent but sometimes irreproducible disc errors or unreocgnisable discs - some new, some old, some made with older firmware, some with new.
Philips Customer Services hopeless - if in warranty do this, when did you purchase, if out of warranty do this etc. Fairly sure problem was result of upgrade but couldnt get an older firmware from them and wasn't prepared to spend money having a dealer try to identify what might otherwise have been design flaws in software/firmware. Unlikely something had suddenly deteriorated in the DVDR at the same time as I made the upgrade!
Ready to skip the box and buy a Panasonic/Sony replacement. After much hunting, which brought me to this board, I found a downloadable copy of the older firmware ff13k, installed tonight and now my discs seem readable. Trying some overnight long play recordings to check for disc errors but problem seems likely to have been solved.