Philips DVDR3305

Hi - this is my first post. I’m new to this technology so please bear with me.
I have just bought a new Philips 32" lcd HDTV with integrated digital, PF5520 and a DVD recorder, DVDR3305.
I believe I have all the connections correct,i.e.scart, co-ax.
My problem is that I am unable to record any digital programmes on my DVD recorder.
Can someone give me an “idiots guide” or advice as to what to do. I have scoured the manuals for both but can get nowhere.
Please help - I’m going loopy!

Cheers

Wylam :sad:

Are you in the UK?

Yes.

Assuming you have a separate Freeview receiver:

a) Are you in an area with good Freeview reception?

b) Have you tuned the receiver to the Freeview channels?

c) Can you get a Freeview picture on the TV, even though you can’t record?

Yes to all three questions.
I can record analogue TV but not digital.

OK well the 3305 doesn’t have a Freeview tuner though… it’s analogue only.

You’d have to connect the Freeview receiver via the alternative input at the back, and select that input when recording.

I realise that - but the tv does have a digital tuner and as it was bought as a package I was told I can watch one format and record the other. My dilema is that I seem unable to view any digital programmes through the DVD recorder.
What am I doing wrong!!!

I see - then perhaps you need your DVDR connected to the bi-directional SCART on the TV, so that it can feed stuff to the recorder as well as receiving playback signal.

The DVDR is connected via scart to the TV.

…but to a bi-directional SCART socket at the TV end? Your TV manual should tell you which is which.

There are two scart sockets on the TV and the manual says both are bi-directional. Anyway the DVDR is connected to the one ias instructed in the TV manual. having said that I have tried swapping them round to no avail.

Is there anything in the TV setup menu which you need to alter to get the TV signal to be output through the SCART?

That is my problem. I can’t see anything in the manual of either the TV or DVDR. the TV outputs the analogue signal without me having altered anything in the setup menu, but no instructions at all regarding this. I hoped some techno-whizz on this forum would have the answer. As it is the recorder is a waste of space!

I don’t think it’s a matter of ‘techno-wizardry’. It’s odd that the TV cannot output the digital reception. The Philips website is devoid of information about this model - it doesn’t even appear.

Perhaps the sales person meant you could record analogue whilst watching digital, but omitted to say not the other way round. I suggest you get back onto them and ask them for setup advice.

Thanks imkidd57 for your advice. I know I’m a bit thick re this technology.
Oh for the days of the simple VCR.
I have enquired back at the shop but they baffle me with diagrams and tech-garble.
Anyway - thanks again.
Wylam

Hi there, I just had a look around the web and this is a common problem. It seems no-one who sells this dvd recorder tells the customers about its limits. I suspect the sales people haven’t a clue half the time anyway!

I did find what appear to be some possible solutions, on another forum. I haven’t tried them yet but they seem feasible. The best one appears to involve buying a second set-top box but it could be worth it, better yet if you can get a cheapie from eBay. Go here: http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1133817121

Let me know if either of these works!

I assume you have the 32PF5520D/10:

1. Make sure the TV and peripherals are switched off before you make any connection.
  2. Connect the open end of the RF/coaxial cable (1) to the aerial input on the back of the set top box.
  3. Use another RF/coaxial cable (2), connect one end to the aerial output on the back of the set top box and connect the other end to the aerial input on the back of the video recorder.
  4. Use a third RF/coaxial cable (3), connect one end to the aerial output on the back of the video recorder and connect the other end to the aerial input on the bottom of the television.
  5. Use a euroconnector/scart cable (4), connect one end to the euroconnector/scart socket of the video recorder and the other end to the ‘EXT2’ euroconnector/scart socket on the bottom of the television.
  6. Use a second euroconnector/scart cable (5), connect one end to the euroconnector/scart socket of the set top box and the other end to the second euroconnector/scart socket on the back of the video recorder.
  7. Use a third euroconnector/scart cable (6), connect one end to the euroconnector/scart socket of the satellite receiver and the other end to the ‘EXT1’ euroconnector/scart socket on the bottom of the television.
  8. Switch on the devices and press the ‘AV’ button to access the SOURCE menu and move your cursor down to select EXT 1 or EXT2/SVHS2.

More info:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpproduct_selector.pl