Philips DVDR1660P1 Solidburn

I’ve just purchased a Philips DVDR1660P1 with Nero 6 bundled (49 euro). This seem to be a new DVDR (http://www.storageupdates.philips.com/dvdrw.html)

When I burn a DVD with Nero, it does NOT recognize the Solidburn option in the advanced burning setting, while instead, I found here that there is a version of Nero (it’s called Solidburn edition) that support it: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/253/2

I’ve checked with infotool the drive:

Drive Information

Drive : PHILIPS DVDR1660P1
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : P1.3
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : DL100549024489
Vendor Specific : DL100549024489
Drive Letter : F:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 48 X
Write Speed : 48 X
Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : No
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-ROM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes
Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
SolidBurn : Yes
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96
Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : None
Changes User : 5
Changes Vendor : 4

As you can see there is Solidburn “enabled” (there is a Solidburn logo written on the DVD too).

Solidburn can improve burning quality, therefore I would like to be sure that it is enabled when burn my DVD. How can I be sure that Nero is using it?
Where can I get the Nero Solidburn edition if needed? I did not find anythin on nero website…

Thanks.

Welcome to CDFreaks. :slight_smile:

Can you see the SolidBurn feature in Nero Burning ROM > Recorder > Choose Recorder > Options?

Zevia, thank your for your answer. Unfortunately when I go in the n Nero Burning ROM > Recorder > Choose Recorder > Options I don’t find anything about SolidBurn (I tried with Nero v6 and also with the latest v7)
In the file attached you can see how the dialog box looks like.

Thank you.

Hi :slight_smile:
You get this because the feature you’ve seen is only featured in CD\DVDSpeed version 4.07.
In other versions you need ala42s’ Enable SolidBurn reg . You can download this from either zevias’ or my sig. Install this in Nero Tools folder & double click to enter into registry.
You access this SolidBurn slightly differently. Using CD\DVDSpeed click on file > then options > then transfer rate. Bottom right hand corner, SolidBurn & OverSpeed settings.

Zebadee, thank you for your reply.

I’m using Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.11, and Nero 7.0.5.4. The solidburn option was already enabled in Nero CD-DVD Speed, but it doesn’t appear in the Nero burning.

Anyway I inserted the “Enable SB” registry key in Windows registry and Infotools folder. Unfortunately nothing changed.

Here some images about my DVDR:

Problem is the P1.3 firmware. Only at 2.0 firmwares solid burn is present.
So Better flash it P2.3

The latest firmware for the Philips DVDR1660 is the P1.3 ! (The P2.3 you are referring to is for the Philips DVDR1648).

At the time being it looks like the SolidBurn and OverSpeed feature can not be controlled though Nero Burning Rom on the Philips DVDR1660.

:o Oop my fault.

Philips naming scheme for firmwares isn’t very intelligent…

i’ve just got a PHILIPS DVDR1660P1, and was wondering what rebadged model is this?

firmware version P1.3, if thats any help

It’s a rebadged Philips 1660. :iagree: :bigsmile:
But that’s not what you meant is it? :doh:
It can be crossflashed to to a BenQ 1650 & vice versa. As it’s the equivilant drive.
See here.

lol, cheers,
i just got this drive today from SVP, i must thank them for giving me a BenQ 1650 for £20 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bigsmile:

now to find out how to crossflash it :confused: too used to pioneer’s firmware flashing

You could take a look here.

thanks i will have a look there, but i was reading the last link you gave me and you thought using it as a philips was just as good, do you still think that, or is it any better as a BenQ?

The answer is not as easy as you’d think. Like any f/w flashing the end result will be dependant on system/configuration/PSU/CPU/temp etc. Not to mention media of course.
For me the BenQ’s with the latest f/w are the ones that I’ve settled on.
Take the philips through it’s paces, compare what you see around the forum. If you feel there may be some gain, then you can always crossflash. If things don’t show an improvement you can always return back.

thanks for all the info, and a great how to flash :bow:

i’ll leave it just now and muck around with it and see what happens :clap:

btw, i was expecting an LG drive (philips), so i think i’ve scored :bigsmile:

:iagree: :clap: :bigsmile: :cool: