Philips DVDR1628 with DW1640 firmware

vbimport

After my good old LiteOn 401S (@811S) finally died today, I got myself a Philips DVDR1628K (shows up as DVDR1648P1 in Windows).

I wonder if it’s possible to flash the latest DW1640 firmware to this drive, since it supports more media and SolidBurn.
The chipset of the DVDR1628 seems to be the same as the ones in BenQ DW1640 and Plextor PX-740.
Unfortunately, Philips announced that SolidBurn will first be introduced with firmware p2.0.

You should be able to crossflash it no problem though I havent seen any cvt’s yet of the Philips 1628/1648 firmware so going back might be a problem till one becomes available.

It worked! I successfully crossflashed from DVDR1628 to DW1640.

I’d like to try the reverse, anybody have a DVDR1628 .CVT firmware?

@riggits you can try this

http://hoppy.tk/download/firmware/1648/cvt/1648_P12.zip

thx all, esp. Ala42! got it, will post scans eventually if i use it much.
:smiley:
w00t!

w00t,

What power supply are you using? You have soooo many drives in yuor system :eek: :eek: :eek:

Legs2Sag

Antec Sonata II case w/TruPower 450 watt PSU. It’s a fantastic unit, & quiet :slight_smile:
If I had more room, I’d have another couple of hard disks & a brace o’ BenQ 1620s in there too. I’m running out of cases now lol!

Apologies for calling you w00t, Riggits. I cannot read!

have to get myself a decent PSU. There’s too much strain on the present one…

Me too, me too :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

>

how exactly did you cross-flashed it ?

From the FAQ -

Q: How do I cross flash the firmware on my OEM/re-badge BenQ 1620 drive?
A: If you have an OEM drive or a re-badge and wish to convert the drive to a retail 1620 so you can make use of the latest official firmware upgrades from BenQ you must go to the Unofficial BenQ firmware page and download WinDWFlash.exe and a corresponding firmware in .CVT form.

In this particular case you’ll go for the BSLB.cvt or the latest 1640 firmware.

>

Thank you guys :=)

I get this error everytime a try:

Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access /download/firmware/1648/cvt/1648_P12.zip on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at hoppy.tk Port 80

Could anybody post the file here?

Thank you,

Legs2Sag

@Legs2sag

http://web.tiscali.it/yardbirds/PHILIPS_DVDR1648P1_CVT_P12.ZIP

for that wretched site, you have to use Internet Exploder.
For me, that’s a pretty gross feeling…
It’s like having tea with Bill Gates, and you have to wear his dirty underpants on your noggin. Then he gives you a dollar when you leave.

>shudder<