Philips dvdr 3590H plays only AVI

vbimport

Hello,

I want to play some videos I have downloaded via bit torrents which are mostly MP4, DivX or Matroska (?) file types.

I copied some of them onto a USB drive (FAT32 format) and the player recognises the USB but gives the message that it only plays videos in AVI format.

This dvd recorder should recognise DivX format, I think. Does anyone have any ideas or advice about why it doesn’t?

Thank you.

Possibly the resolution is above 720x576/720x480. Or what you have isn’t DivX, it could be x264 in Mp4.

However Mp4 is a different container to avi which is why it won’t play them if they really are DivX. The philips might support Mp4, I don’t know because the specs sheet only says DivX Ultra 6, it doesn’t mention the containers supported.

I would suggest that you get a media player because those will play most videos and won’t have the severe limitations that the Philips has.

I suggest that you get MediaInfo and check the files to find out what they are.

[QUOTE=RedDwarf;2665541]Possibly the resolution is above 720x576/720x480. Or what you have isn’t DivX, it could be x264 in Mp4.

However Mp4 is a different container to avi which is why it won’t play them if they really are DivX. The philips might support Mp4, I don’t know because the specs sheet only says DivX Ultra 6, it doesn’t mention the containers supported.

I would suggest that you get a media player because those will play most videos and won’t have the severe limitations that the Philips has.

I suggest that you get MediaInfo and check the files to find out what they are.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply!

MediaInfo will show the codec used for the Movie. It’s probably x264 but there are still some XVid’s which should work. The 720x576 might not be relevant because large resolutions might be supported by the chipset. However at one time that was the limit of many DVD players Mpeg4 ASP (XVid/DivX) playback.

If it’s in an avi container then chances are it should play.

If it only supports FAT32 for USB flash drives etc then the file support is limited to 4GB so hi def videos would have some very severe limitations. NTFS or exFAT needs to be supported for larger file support.

BTW your asking for trouble getting Movies from Bittorrent IMO.