Philips DVDR 3305 - will not play home video DVD

A friend bought a Philips DVDR3305 DVD recorder/player.
He wants to play his home video DVDs, but has no luck.

The following has been done:

1 - Burned video on DVD-R and DVD-R with MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and DVD-format.
2 - None of the DVDs showed any contents on the TV.
3 - Downloaded the latest firmware and upgraded the DVDR 3305:
-> Old version: DVDR3305_05_BT5_2
-> New version: DVDR3305_05_BT5_4
4 - Tried once more, but no change.

We have tried another DVDR from Philips - it did not work.

All these DVDs are working all right on my Philips DVD 737.
And we tried another Philips player (can’t remeber the name) - and it did work!

The dealer has not come up with a solution but to contact Philips office in Norway (where we live). No answer so far.

Help!!!
What do we do?

Generally speaking, DVD recorders are not great DVD players. However you would expect them to play a properly authored DVD. Presumably the importing of video recordings was done on a PC?

1. What PC program and what encoding method was used?
  2. Were the -R discs finalised on the PC before trying in the 3305?
  3. What are the brand and media code of the discs used?
  4. When you say “DVD format”, does that mean with IFO and several VOB files?

From the pattern of playback success, I would suggest that media quality may be the most important factor here.

1. I used WinAVI Video Converter ver. 7.1 to convert AVI-file to MPEG1, MPEG2 and DVD-format (enabled DirectAC3) - that is what WinAVI calls it.
  2. -R discs were finalised on the PC.
    3a. Verbatin-R 4.7 GB 120 min 16x Certified
    3b. Imitation DVD+R 4.7 GB 2 hours video 8x
  3. See No 1.

Whatever media I use on my Philips DVD 737 it works ok.
But not on the DVDR 3305.

It’s important that you provide some details for point 4: that is, of the files present on the ‘DVD-format’ disc. If you open the disc in Windows Explorer (‘My Computer’), what do you see? Are there files with .IFO, .BUP and .VOB extensions?

Some DVD players will play bare MPEG2 files, whereas recorders most likely will not, because they need the DVD-Video structure files above.

Thanks - I learn while I walk!

The DVD-format disc contains:

Folder: DVD_0

Sub-folder 1: AUDIO_TS
Files :
none

Sub-folder 2: VIDEO_TS
Files:
VIDEO_TS.BUP = 8 kB
VIDEO_TS.IFO = 8 kB
VTS_01_0.BUP = 52 kB
VTS_01_0.IFO = 52 kB
VTS_01_1.VOB = 1.038.114 kB
VTS_01_2.VOB = 1.039.032 kB
VTS_01_3.VOB = 1.038.874 kB
VTS_01_4.VOB = 575.838 kB

I can’t help beeing mad on this problem!
Why does a videoplayer play my DVDs, but not a combined player and recorder!!

I thank you for your answers and your patience!

Hmmm… well that looks like a valid DVD-Video structure to me. Worryingly, I noticed a line in an independent review on the DVDR3305 which revealed the same problem as yours. The review was linked to by Send, in this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=157284#post1213295

…and the text towards the bottom of the review said:

“Discs burnt with Intervideo Win DVD Creator simply come up as “blank disc” in the Philips DVDR3305, it refuses to play them, despite all other DVD players I have tried being able to play such discs.”

It looks like this might be a more widespread disc compatibility problem.

Thanks!

I will try another burning software. My friends son burned home video dvd on his computer - and it works! I will find out why and how - and hopefully reveal the answer!

Just new to the forum and wanted to add my opinion.
I’ve recently bought a Philips DVDR 3305. I also bought a stock of Maxell blank DVDs (but have home also some TDK). Once burnt with the DVDshrinker software in my PC, the are all readable in many DVD player but are seen as blank in the DVDR. I don’t know if it’s something to do with some particular brand or what… The DVDs are all an exact copy of the original ones, which will be by the way easily read and recognized. I think this is a broad compatibility problem with this DVDR and it’s tough to make a list of avoidable blank discs we already know not being compatible.
In the first place I thought it was something regarding the burning software in my PC, e.g. the software burns in the disc with a depth different from the one wanted by the DVDR… But with a friend we tried his own DVDs and the same software and both DVDRs (mine and his) can recognize his disc. So I actually don’t know what else to say, unless that it’s all bloody frustrating!
Some other opinions/advices?

Just a thought, your not burning the DVD_0 file to your final DVD are you? This is a folder created by WinAVIConverter. You only need to copy the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders directly to the root of the disk.

ive got one of these dvd recorders too. i was wondering if it was possible to take out the dvd drive and replace it with a hard drive. the dvd drive is connected with an ide cable and a power cable the same way as a pc would. i didnt want to mess about with it further incase i f***ed it up. this would be alot better coz i could put in a 500gb hard drive.

or even if it is possible to have the dvd drive and a hard drive in with a 2 way ide cable. set them as master and slave