Philips dvd8801 r/rw - BenQ DW1655

Have a Dimension 5150 with a Philips dvd8801 r/rw - benq dw1655

although seen on the bios screen - the drive is not showing up in windows. is there a fix for this? i continue to see things about flashing the drive but am not familiar with the process. assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to cdfreaks [I]pugluver.[/I] :slight_smile:

No new firmwares ever been released for DVD8801, so you better do as all the rest;
Crossflash.
Note though, your warranty (if any left) will be lost… :wink:

BTW, it’s a DW1650, (no LightScribe). :bigsmile:

Thank You Pinto for the information. I followed it specifically however there are no drives to chose from in BQFlasher. Any additional advice? Thank you for your time!

Flashing the drive isn’t going to solve your problem. Try uninstalling the IDE Channel and/or Controller in Device Manager. Also look up the chipset drivers for your mobo.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2017971]No new firmwares ever been released for DVD8801…[/QUOTE]

Actually, Dell did release OEM firmware AD21 for the 8801:

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R144661&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=192787

Thanks negritude. :wink:

But, I’m quite satisfied with BenQ DW1650 firmwares… :flower:

Thanks for the information Negritude, Pinto and Cassandra - I have tried all of your suggestions - but to no avail. We simply cannot get any of the firmware or still windows to recognize the drive.

None of us are techs and all of us just began working for this place…all of their computers need some serious work.

Any additional advice would be great - otherwise I think we are about to buy an external drive and be done with it.

peace,

lisa

I have Philips 8801 DVD drive also that windows does not recognize. Dell has an upgrade but I don’t know if I should download it. The download is Version: AD21, A04. My current Version is 4D28. I am very new at this and don’t know if you should only download the same Version update or if another Version could work. Can you help? My burner does burn with other programs but not with Windows XP. My Dell is a Dimension 9100. The Philips drive did not come with the computer. Dell recently installed it because the other one would not work at all.

[QUOTE=lpapa;2149619]I have Philips 8801 DVD drive also that windows does not recognize. Dell has an upgrade but I don’t know if I should download it. The download is Version: AD21, A04. My current Version is 4D28. I am very new at this and don’t know if you should only download the same Version update or if another Version could work. Can you help? My burner does burn with other programs but not with Windows XP. My Dell is a Dimension 9100. The Philips drive did not come with the computer. Dell recently installed it because the other one would not work at all.[/QUOTE]

If you’re trying to burn DVDs with Windows’ built-in burning engine, it doesn’t work. If you’re trying to burn CDs with Windows’ built-in burning engine, it’s not worth it to fix it; other programs can do a better job. :slight_smile:

My son has a Dell Philips DVD8801 I have been testing with Nero Drive Speed. I flashed the firmware from 2D06 to AD21. No help in performance. AD21 is to support WindowsVista.
How do you know for sure it’s a Benq 1655?

[QUOTE=mik3;2168072]My son has a Dell Philips DVD8801 I have been testing with Nero Drive Speed. I flashed the firmware from 2D06 to AD21. No help in performance. AD21 is to support WindowsVista.
How do you know for sure it’s a Benq 1655?[/QUOTE]

It’s not a DW1655. It’s a DW1650.

What do you mean when you say “performance”? You can’t use the Philips DVD8801 with it’s native firmware to do quality testing or other BenQ tricks. Those things only work when running BenQ firmware. You’d have to cross-flash the drive and turn it into a DW1650, and then those other things would work.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn’t say I was using Benq software. I am just started looking into crossflashing. I should have said AD21 would not help the problem. Like Cressida said, uninstall the IDE channel, check the jumpers and for Albert if under warranty, if a tech replaced the drive, maybe he pinched the thin wires on an 80 conductor wire. I have broken a few with my fat hands trying to tuck them away. As far as testing I said I was using Drivespeed (CD\DVD Speed). The transfer rate test is really fast, but the disk quality test drops like a stone to 0.19x and stays there.

[QUOTE=mik3;2168636]As far as testing I said I was using Drivespeed (CD\DVD Speed). The transfer rate test is really fast, but the disk quality test drops like a stone to 0.19x and stays there.[/QUOTE]

Right, the DQ test won’t work properly with Philips firmware. That’s already known.