Philips DVD8701 - Windows crashes when writing DVD

Greetings DVD gods! :bow:

I’m a complete n00b at this stuff, so I’d appreciate any feedback you guys and girls can give me.

I bought a Philips DVD8701 drive from a friend and, after a Windows reinstall, installed it without any problems. It reads disks just fine. However, whenever I try to burn DVDs (only tried data DVDs so far), after a couple of minutes the drive locks up, the activity light begins to blink regularly and then Windows XP shuts down and my computer reboots.

Sending an error report to Microsoft yields the answer, “There is a driver conflict and we do not have a fix at this time”. :doh:

I did a search on the forum and didn’t see an answer to my question (so - sorry if this has been answered!). I don’t know what “reflashing” the drive means, but would that solve the issue I’m experiencing? I saw a lot of mention of people reflashing their 8701s to BenQs. Or does anyone know of any updated drivers for the DVD8701 that could help?

Thanks!

Can’t hurt and remove Sonic DLA and Nero INCD from your box.
try a Phillips FW flash first at the Phillips site

Also make it the master on your IDE secondary and check your jumpers on the drive to master and your cable is secure.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=185993

Hi ihateemo and welcome to cdfreaks,

When a critical error occurrs in Windows XP, the system will reboot automatically by default. After the reboot, Windows will then usually show a dialogue with the explanation that the system has recovered from a critical error and will offer to submit this error to Microsoft.
Most of the time these spontaneous reboots are rather unique and are not an immediate cause for alert. However, if the situation is recurring, there is probably something wrong in the system configuration. To get a good idea of what is wrong, it is best to disable the option to automatically restart the system after a failure, but to let it show the error message instead.

To do so, please perform the following steps:

1. Right-click [B]My Computer[/B].
  2. Select [B]Properties[/B].
  3. In the System Properties, select the tab [B]Advanced[/B].
  4. In the box called [I]Startup and Recovery[/I], click [B]Settings[/B].
  5. A new window will open
  6. Uncheck the box ‘[B]Automatically restart[/B]’ in the group [I]System Failure[/I]
  7. Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking [B]OK[/B].

Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error.
However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem. So please post the error message here . … … … .

Toshibaer

Sorry for the delay in replying - real life took over for a short while. Thanks for helping me out here.

So!

When Windows crashes I get the XP BSOD and a stop error, along with a string of 0x codes that are different everytime. Here are the last two I got:

STOP 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE31EB000, 0X31EBFF8, 0XFDFFFDFF)

STOP 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8054B339, 0XF402677C, 0X00000000)

…and then Windows performs a memory dump and I have to hard reboot. Just for kicks, I thought it might be my 8701 that was faulty, so I bought a new drive (a Memorex MRX-500N) but I get the same error each and every time.

That said, I’m trying to write at 16x and the box (which I didn’t read before I bought the new drive…d’oh!) says minimum specs require a 800MHz processor. Could this be the cause of my woes? I only have a 700MHz Athlon (stop laughing, I’ve ordered upgrades :o) and 576MB RAM. Maybe the motherboard’s IDE sucks (it’s over 6 years old, sigh)?

Either way, the fact that two good drives have yielded similar results suggests it’s a local issue - mobo/proc combo, I suppose - than a firmware or driver issue (although according to the Device Manager both use 5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001 by Microsoft - is there an updated one I should be using?).

Thanks for any input,

-ihe

16x dvd burning with an 700MHz CPU ?? That won’t work.

Here some tips:
http://www.joern.de/Halt35.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B903251&x=11&y=10

First, boot from a bootable CD and run a good viruskiller!

Sounds like fault RAM to me. :frowning:
Check your RAM
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Take care
Toshibaer

Maybe! LOL memory helps and speed helps. But I do not burn anyhing at 16X on any of my new boxes. So it goes without saying that I would not do this on an old box. 8X is my advice/burn two and call us in zeeeee morning. Faster is not better sometimes on every odd Friday! LOL rarely some media will burn better at 12X. Don’t go there until you get a new box. Did you remove Sonic DLA and INCD? Very bad stuff that causes a blue screen and a reboot after a burn.

PS/ your computer is fine/just clean it as suggested and slow down your burn speed.
Use widows clean disk and defrag as well as a SPYBOT scan and virus scan.

Hey, I did say I was a noob, didn’t I? :doh:

Nobody burns at 16x? Why is that? What kind of requirements are we looking at for that?

@ihateemo, your old CPU doesn’t cause the reboots.
[B]Read[/B] what members [I]etp[/I] and [I]TOSHIBAer[/I] posted and check/adjust that first. :wink:

@chef, I won’t argue with you about “700MHz” CPU being sufficient for 16x burns, but I can asure you it depends much more on mobo’s & IDE bus speeds then on CPU and also on speed/buffer of your HDD.
Remember my nice 8x burns with PII-266MHz…

Yeah, I knew would come up with that idea, pinto2. :wink:

In this case, it would not be really adviseable to burn 16x dvd.

I would run tools like AVG7, spybot, ad-aware and memtest nevertheless.

Just to update and close this issue, I upgraded my mobo, processor to 1.3Ghz and 2GB RAM and everything now burns nicely at 6x. Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

lol, I had bad ram only a few weeks ago.
I enabled special pool and it said SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION afterwards. :iagree: Funny, eh? :wink: