Philips DVD recorder spare part number

My DVDR75 has started to report ‘DISC ERR’ on the front panel display when recording. The problem is getting worse, and now occurs with every disc, even new ones. I think it is the laser assembly, which requires replacement of the drive mechanism.

Philips service centre (0870 6010101) say they can repair the recorder for £141 collected and returned to me.

I decided to see if I could get hold of a spare drive unit and replace it myself.

The number of the drive unit is 9305 025 9070 (aka VAE8020/15) (This is Philips second generation drive the VAE8020. I would think the /15 refers to the mounting, and the trim panel on the front of the drawer.). The numbers are on the label at the rear of the drive unit itself.

I called the Philips authorised spares supplier in the UK, (Dutch West 01434 323232) and they have the part number on their system, but it is apparently no longer available.

The repair fee charged by Philips is an umbrella fee that applies to any fault with the unit. However, if the part is unavailable, they will still make the charge, and return the faulty unit, hence the reason for trying to source the drive unit and fix it myself.

My guess is that Philips have changed the drive unit, and it now has a new part number. Dutch West was unable to find an equivalent. I tried the Philips service centre, but I couldn’t persuade them to let me talk to one of their engineers.

So, my question is: Does anyone out there have the part number for a drive unit in a DVDR75 that is different from the one above?

Maybe someone has had a unit repaired recently with a different drive unit, and they could take a quick look inside the case and have a look at the number.

I hope this also helps other members.

Many Thanks in advance.

I’ve had a Philips DVDR80/17 for nearly two years. I have the same problem. Initially, it stopped recording +r dvds. Then, I started get the disc err message with +rws. I’ve downloaded firmware upgrades to no avail. Philips sent me firmware. Too late I realized that it did not apply to the 80/17. Now, it records nothing. I was thinking about chucking it until I found this message board and realized I am not alone with this Philips problem. I can’t believe the company is not aware of the flaw.

Philips are aware of this sort of problem with the 8x0 series recorders (see here), but what they will do about it depends on what country you are in.

Hi srcope333.
My HDRW720 has a standard crappy PC quality DVD writer. I removed it and connected it to my PC. Windows XP recognised it as a VAD8031, Firmware Revision 102.
Why don´t you just buy an old +R/RW burner (Ebay or elsewhere) and try it. Removing the DVD writer is not difficult. Just open the tray (eject button) and pull the mains cord from the rear. Then you carefully remove the crappy, cheap looking, made in Hong Kong, plastic chrome cover attached to the tray-front by gently pulling it upwards. You can then pull the standard crappy PC quality DVD writer rearward and upward.
It may well work. Regarding the umbrella charge I can sympathise. Here in Germany Philips do exactly the same thing- one flatrate charge irrespective of how complicated or simple the repair procedure is with older models less expensive than newer ones.
Let us know how things go.

www.semiconductors.philips.com/ acrobat/literature/9397/75012476.pdf

Hi,

The HDRW720 uses the PNX725 MPEG-2 CODEC, which has an IDE interface between it and the drive. The DVDR75 has a proprietary interface between the drive and the MPEG-2 CODEC (PNX7100), so I can’t use an IDE drive, or connect the drive to my PC.

It looks as though Philips have abandoned the older proprietary interface in favour of IDE so that they can take advantage of the cheap IDE DVD+RW drives that are being produced. It also allows Philips to sell the PNX725 MPEG-2 CODEC to manufacturers wishing to build low cost DVD recorders by using their own IDE drive units. Hence the proliferation of DVD recorders from companies such as LiteOn.

It might be possible to replace just the laser assembly in a DVDR75 with one from an IDE drive, but it probably isn’t worth it.

Regards

For all you guys that own these frustrating DVD writers I have good news. I too had the same problem with the writer dying and was able to fix it:clap:. I have the HDRW 720/17 with the IDE writer. I was a pain in the ass to use, buggy, the timer hardly worked, and took forever to figure it out. But, it did produce really nice DVDs. And, I got about 600 disks out of it. So, I thought it was worth fixing.

What I did was buy a used DVD+R writer drive pulled the old one and popped the new one in. I did have the try different configurations with the drive jumper. I found it worked on the slave setting. I first bought the HP dvd200i and it worked. But, it has trouble playing some newer disks. I just ordered the dvd300i. We’ll see it that works better…and I bet it will. The key is that you have to have a DVD+R. Also, you may have to trim the front plastic panel on the unit (where the tray slides through) to get the tray to slide through. A Philips writer may work too (and possibly a LiteOn). I think Philips makes them all. I’m just leery of buying anything Philips again. Other DVD+R’s may work too but I can’t be sure of that.

If this sounds like a pain…it is a bit but I like conquering crap like this. I beat that crappy frustrating machine that makes great DVDs. If you don’t want to do it I may be interested in helping a few of you out, as I know how to do it now. Email me if you want to talk about it. You’d have to ship me your machine, a working replacement DVD+R writer, shipping back money and maybe little something for my time. My email is: [I]//email edited out by imkidd57//[/I]

Later,
Mike

Why not just tell us how to do it? With a few pictures and your description, we could make a sticky thread for everyone to benefit, at no cost. :wink:

Regarding the handling of newer disc types: did you try upgrading the dvd200i with the most recent HP firmware before installing?

The process is really easy and really shouldn’t need photos (at least I don’t think it should). And, I don’t really want to take the time to do all that. But, if others ask for them I’ll see what I can do. I’m just trying to help a few people out that went through the same frustration that I had.

But, here a step by step: Just unplug the philips power to the unit, remove the cover, unplug the old dvd drive power and IDE plug, unscrew the screws holding it in place, and remove the burner drive back and up. Do the reverse to install the new drive. But, you’ll need to play with the drive jumper settings. On the HP dvd200i it needed a slave setting. Others may be different. And, as I said, you may have to trim the old faceplate on the Philips unit to get the tray to pass through it though. It was design to just fit that particular Philips burner.

It’s certainly a lot better then paying Philips to fix these and now I have a resurrected unit. Thanks for the input on the firmware too. It was a good thought but to no avail. It has the most current firmware installed. The 200i still doesn’t like newer commercial dvds. I’ll try the 300i when it comes in. If it works then great. If not, I’ll just buy an additional player just play some disks. No biggie. At least I have the recorder working again!

Good luck all

I wanted to give an update to this saga. I replaced the HP DVD200i burner with the 300i. It played nicely but it gave errors all the time when burning. Then I tried a true Philips DVD+R writer from around the same model year (2004) as my 720. It works perfectly! Burns nicely and fast and plays disks great again too. So, the answer here is yes, you can fix these (most times I think) with a replacement writer. I’d recommend finding an actual Philips DVD+R. FYI, this one worked on the Master jumper setting.

later all

Thanks for the update :-). Would you have the model number of the successful Philips drive…?

Sure, here’s the specs on that burner from the Ebay sale:

Philips model DVD8421 Dual Layer Combo Drive CD-R/RW DVD+R/RW

Specifications:
Write speeds:
24x CDR
10x CDRW
8x DVD+R
4x DVD+RW
2.4x DVD+RDL

Read speeds:
40x CD
12x DVD