Philips DVD player - won't read burnt discs

Couldn’t figure out where to put this, so here 'tis.
I’ve ended up with a Philips 820 DVD player, it’s a very classy unit in excellent condition, made in Japan (ca1999) BUT - it won’t play burnt DVD-r. It’s also supposed to play VCD’s, but doesn’t (plays music cd’s, though). As I want to put my home movies onto DVD, this unit doesn’t appear to be a lot of use:sad: .

Can anyone confirm that this model definitely won’t read burnt discs? (Can’t find much about it on the 'net).

Ta.

Originally posted by dik

it won’t play burnt DVD-r.

Can’t find much about it on the 'net.
And how about Taiyo Yuden DVD-R ? Have you tried any DVD+R media yet ?

The new generation ( made in China :wink: ) standalone players usually don’t have any compatibility issues.

Check this link ( if it helps ? ) > Philips players

Thanks BoSkin, but DVDrhelp was the first place I looked for info. Unfurtunately the 820 doesn’t rate a mention.

I haven’t tried +r, as from what I’ve read older machines might play -r, but only relatively recent ones would play +r. As this is at least 5 years old I reckon I’m out of luck.

I’ll probably sell it and buy a Chinese-made one, as they seem to give people what they want - machines that will play anything! (My Omni has been excellent).

What a bummer :sad:

Originally posted by dik

Thanks BoSkin, but DVDrhelp was the first place I looked for info.

I haven’t tried +r, as from what I’ve read older machines might play -r, but only relatively recent ones would play +r.
I should have known that ! :wink:

I used to have some compatibility issues with the Ricoh DVD+R 2,4x,
but all the DVD+R RiTEK R02 4x media is playable well in my old standalone Panasonic.
More info can be found here > DVD playability

Interesting experience you had…but I figure if it can’t play whatever discs I happen to be using (like my Omni), then there’s no point in persevering with it. I guess I was hoping there might be a mod/patch/hack for it (wishful thinking here :slight_smile: ).

And as for using T.Y… I live in Sth. Oz - great place, wonderful lifestyle, but I gave up trying to find T.Y. cd’s, let alone DVD’s, yonks ago. A lot of the branded ones are made in Taiwan/India/Outer Mongolia (:wink: ) etc. and still cost a lot and include cases (which I don’t need) and still cost a lot…need I say any more? :slight_smile: .

Oh well, on a brighter note, at least my nice, shiny new P4 rockets through the ripping/transcoding process now :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers.

Hmmmm…it appears that my player may be a re-badged Toshiba SD-1310. Anyone out there using one of these and, if so, does it play DVD-R?

(Hope springs eternal…)