Philips chipset drives firmware backup method

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRU-810A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,
I have a SONY DRU-815A LightScribe DVDRW Drive, it’s a PBDS OEM product and based on Philips chipset, and now I want to have its firmware backuped. But I couldn’t find any FLASHER to backup a Philips chipset drives firmware, so who can please tell me about how to back up a Philips chipset drive firmware? I know the backuped file is .cvt format.

Hi and Welcome!

unfortunately there is no such tool available.

Michael

Welcome. :slight_smile:

Can you provide info about drives firmware (should be named on drives label anyway).

pinto2, very unfortunately the drive label was wholy damaged before I got it…:frowning: that means the drive DOESN’T have a label on it. I found it very occasionally at local flea market. Now what I can see from the Nero Infotool/DiscSpeed is “SONY DRU-815A T.1f”.

back to the topic, it’s really unimaginable that so many years have been past and until now still no flasher is developed by someone. Is this development very hard? Or there’re technical boundaries which are can’t be overcomed? Especially as so many Benq/philips utility tools were been developed today, just like Quikee’s BQflasher…:doh: What we need is only to read a firmware from a programmed chip and back it up! Does this action could be so hard for we mordern humans?

Please forgive me for these words. I’m not a programmer, don’t really know how hard the works have been done by our great fans. I’m now just put my doubt out.

Since the DRU-810A was a BenQ DW1640, and the DRU-810A-R was a BenQ DW1650, my only guess is that the DRU-815A was a BenQ DW1655, especially because it’s described as having Lightscribe. I personally never saw the drive for sale anywhere, so it must have been on the market for a very short period of time, maybe only a couple of months.

Anyway, yes, there are technical limitations which prevent the backing up of firmware from Philips Nexperia based drives. This issue was already tackled years ago, and it just can’t be done. Let it go.

BTW, if you can take any pictures of the drive and post them here, that would be very helpful.

In fact the drive is a DW1655 rebadge, so if the firmware can be extracted as .cvt file, I can flash it to DW1655 to test it’s disc quality scanning function, and can easily restore it back to the original model. But from you so many guys saying, this would be impossible, so it’s really a huge pity for cannot back up such a rare firmware.

Though only little hope to dump a firmware from a Nexperia based drive, I still believe there must be a method to dump the firmware out. If not so, how could so many .cvt format firmware file be offered on the internet, almost including all model/version of the Nexperia based drive?

I’m now mending my digital camera which have a little problem recently, so there’s still a short period for you guys to wait before I post pictures of this drive here.

thanks for all you guys, even though no helpful information is provided…

[QUOTE=negritude;2312103]…Anyway, yes, there are technical limitations which prevent the backing up of firmware from Philips Nexperia based drives. This issue was already tackled years ago, and it just can’t be done. Let it go.[/QUOTE]Agree in general with [I]negritude[/I], but in the end there are practical limitations also… :slight_smile:
By design you can’t read a eeprom in additional to Nexperia chipset so to say indipendently. You’ll have to resolder eeprom chip and put it in a eeprom reader/programmer, or equivalent.

I learned this the hard way. :sad:

[QUOTE=negritude;2312103]BTW, if you can take any picture of the drive and post them here, that would be very helpful.[/QUOTE]Adding to that, please post innard pictures (don’t bother about warranty, no manufacturer/company existing nowdays will grant you that anyway). :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]Please, don’t try to flash the drive with BenQ firmware before we see what chipset/eeprom it has.[/B]

If I’m stupid enough, I would flash the drive to DW1655 at the first time I get it, and surely no this post was posted here.

So I won’t flash the drive until I get the 100% confirmed correctly dumped .cvt backup firmware file.

Maybe this drive is the only one can be shown on cdfreaks, since rare drives exist in the world, and among them may be no cd-fans can save it for a Freak Drive…