Philips CD-R are reliable?

vbimport

Hi,

• Philips Cd-R are reliable?

I have found a good offer.

Thanks!

Depends on the manufacturer of the disc, as with any brand. :slight_smile:

Why philips have different producers?

I was a bit rushed with my last post, apologies for that (the doorbell rang!). :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve known Philips to use CMC and Moser Baer India, they may use others too. Philips, Maxell, HP, even Verbatim outsource their CDR manufacturing.

As far as CDRs go, both the above manufacturers are OK - it’s not like Philips are an inferior or unknown brand.

But I’d still only buy them if they’re cheaper than Taiyo Yuden. If Taiyo Yuden aren’t an option for you, then go ahead.

The above is assuming you aren’t planning to use them for long-term archiving. :slight_smile:

But JVC Taiyo Juden are really very more quaitative respect to other producers?

JVC vs Verbatim = 1 : 0

JVC vs Philips = 1 : 0

JVC vs All the World: 1 : 0

Really???

No, Verbatim Pastel CD-Rs were better than JVCs, but they are really, really hard to get these days. Other ultra high quality CD-Rs like Ricohs (made in Europe or USA), Kodaks or Metal AZO Verbatims are not being produced since 2000-2003.
FalconMedia Pro CD-Rs are (quality wise) comparable to JVCs, but hard to get in the most parts of the world.

[QUOTE=pepst;2603186]No, Verbatim Pastel CD-R were better than JVCs, .[/QUOTE]There are two generations of the Pastels. The last were simply colored “Extra Protection” discs. Indeed, TY made EP did exist. And they were still good, but not as good as the older ones.

Michael

[QUOTE=pepst;2603186]No, Verbatim Pastel CD-R were better than JVCs, but they are really, really hard to get these days. Other ultra high quality CD-Rs like Ricohs (made in Europe or USA), Kodaks or Metal AZO Verbatims are not being produced since 2000-2003.
FalconMedia Pro CD-Rs are (quality wise) comparable to JVCs, but hard to get in the most parts of the world.[/QUOTE]

Conclusion, actually the best CD are?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2603188]There are two generations of the Pastels. The last were simply colored “Extra Protection” discs…

Michael[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah, I almost got caught out by those in a B&M store! :eek:

@Antigen - I’ve not been lucky enough to try the JVC Taiyo Yudens (or rather, I keep forgetting to order online!).

EDIT: Whoops, I lied - I do have some older JVC TY CDRs (bought a couple of years ago). They do burn very nicely. :)…so it’s more precise to say, I haven’t tried any of the more recent JVC/TY media.

I think a “final conclusion” on what is best will be hard to come by, as everyone has their personal preference. Best you can do is pick the brand/manufacturer mentioned in the most posts. :wink:

My personal conclusion is:

• Buy everything that have a good name aka Verbatim, JVC, Sony, TDK…
  • Stay away from unlabelled CD
    Right?

Pretty much. If you’re archiving stuff, then I’d advise to keep a second copy on either a HDD or a different manufacturer disc anyway. :wink:

For everyday use, i.e. unimportant stuff or stuff backed up elsewhere, anything will do.

One more important thing - don’t use sticky labels on your discs, whether you’re using CDR or DVD R. I lost several CDRs that way some years ago. :wink: