Philamber's Alcohol/Securom 4.x Guide

vbimport

This guide is just what the doctor ordered. I’ve known for some time that Alcohol could read and write clone images and I’ve used this technique to create backups, however, I could never properly articulate the steps involved. :eek: Thanks Phil.

Since this is not a method that the Alcohol team endorses, CDFreaks is the only place you’ll find these steps listed.

I think Philamber’s guide is good, but instead of creating the BWA with the BWA Builder he should advise to create a MDS with Alcohol 120% and then convert it to BWA. Alcohol’s MDS is much more accurate than BlindWrite’s BWA. In fact, BWA is a subset of MDS.

[QUOTE]

I think Philamber’s guide is good, but instead of creating the BWA with the BWA Builder he should advise to create a MDS with Alcohol 120% and then convert it to BWA. Alcohol’s MDS is much more accurate than BlindWrite’s BWA. In fact, BWA is a subset of MDS.

[QUOTE]

Well why don’t you PM him and tell him your statement/experience?

Maybe he forgot this or didn’t know it.

If it’s true Philamber will change his guide,
which is by the way: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Originally posted by vio_man

I think youl find that philamber has been very thorough with his guide.

Check out 3 b.

Originally posted by philamber
b) If, no matter what you do, you can’t get a good .bwa file just using the bwa builder, then you’ll have to try to make one by converting an .mds file created by alcohol. To make an mds file with alcohol simply make an image of the play cd using securom new 4.x settings in mds/mdf format. When you’re asked to select the measuring speed for the DPM function, again you’ll probably get better results at low speed. (With my Ltd-163, I use 4x.) When it’s finished making the image files, run the bwa builder and load the mds file by clicking on File and then Load BWA/MDS. If the graph looks ok then create a .bwa file by clicking on File and then Convert MDS -> BWA. This will create a .bwa file in the same folder as your .mds file. You can then delete the mds/mdf files as they’re no longer needed.

Just a quick question:
Before doing ANYTHING (even before you insert your original CD to backup), what settings should you use in Alcohol. I’m talking about the General settings like “Ignore media type” etc. Check or uncheck? Will this make a difference?
Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

The ignore media type is for when it’s all said and done, you only need to check before you insert the back-up to hide the atip info from the protection. Checking it before you burn and leaving it checked from then on shouldn’t create any problems during your copy process. Because of where this is located (thread) I am assuming thats all we are talking about is securom?

Thankyou kamikazee,

I guess I’ll just leave it checked if it has no effect on creating MDS files (BWA files) or reading/writing whole images.

And yes, I did mean SecuROM CDs! :wink: Thanks again!

Hi, im a newbie and i cant seem to find this guide, could anyone please post a link, or email me?

regards

thanks again

stavr0s_farm@hotmail.com

Stavr0s.

Try the top of this forum.

You sure on that. :eek: :wink: :bigsmile: Roofles