Petition for BTC to exchange 1004 with 1008 or 1108

vbimport

I think all us 1004 owners should petition BTC to offer some sort of special upgrade to an 8X drive. The 1004 firmwares have helped the drive quite a bit, but I personally think we were the beta testers for the current 1008 and 1108 drives. I’m not saying give us one, but for a resonable fee let us trade up. Not asking for handouts, just a better drive! :bigsmile:

great idea, with a very little chance :bigsmile:, but i think many of us 1004 users are disposed to pay a little money for the upgrade.

i´m not unsatisfied with my drive but when i can have a faster one :smiley:

or i´m wrong?

I’ll tell you that my wife spent $99 for the 1004 drive right at xmas time. Now I see where Fry’s has the 1008 (maybe 1108 now) for $69. So trading in the 1004 drive to me is pointless. I will keep it and just go buy a 1008/1108.

Well,

I myself will not buy another BTC any other way. If I am going to spend $100.00, then I will get a Benq or maybee a Lite-on. They just seem to offer so much more after the sale. I think this would be a good way to keep some from moving on to other manufacturers.

I’m with you.

I will never buy other BTC thing.

Too many troubles (incompatibilities, write errors, bla bla bla).

Letting me try another BTC for free is the only way I put something from them in my computer.

You guys need to put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer!

Too many troubles (incompatibilities, write errors, bla bla bla).

i do not understand this cause
i´m really satisfied with my drive (could be that i have luck, but i don´t think), í tried app. 12 different types of media(+R(W),-R(W). had some problems with the first F/W´s but now it´s a great drive for me. the next drive i´ll buy is a 16x DL (when available) from BTC, NEC, Liteon… . i´ll compare and decide.

I also don’t understand the post. I too have excellent results now with my burner after i updated the firmware

I would like to have a free, or very low cost, upgrade for my 1008 to the new 16X single layer, 2.4 DL drive that BTC will be releasing sometime in the future. If BTC would mail me one of the new drives, I’d be happy to send my 1008 back to them. :iagree:

You guys need to put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer!

Hash not crack!

I also don’t understand the post. I too have excellent results now with my burner after i updated the firmware

I’m glad yours works fine but that is not the case for everyone. A lot of issues were worked out for this drive as I stated in the original post, but it took 6 months before a decfent firmware was available. The 1004 did not get nearly the attention the 1008 did, look at the time frame for the version histories, they did give a s**t about the 1004 owners util they finally got a handle on the 1008. If what Marco said about the only difference bieng a laser pickup, then the changes made to the 1008 could have been used on the 1004 at the same time but BTC ignored the OLDER drive. Anyways, I bought an NEC 2510A and can’t be happier! If you guys who think you have such great drives what to see how the other half lives, tried one of these and you won’t want to touch that BTC drive. Also, I got a 1004 for cheap!

Chears all.

Amazing what one expects for less than the price of a CD burner a year and a half ago…

Problems with DVD burners can be found on all of the forums, not just BTC’s. It’s a complex technology and has made its way quickly to the market at a bargain price. BTC drives generally do very well in comparision tests.

Is it too much to ask that the good, bargain priced drive bought 6 months ago be exchanged for a newer model with better performance and improved and new features?

I mean, why can’t BTC just offer lifetime hardware upgrades at a bargain price? I mean, car manufacturers give you free upgrades when the new models come out, don’t they?

Why can’t I just upgrade my 5 year old Honda to a new BMW at no cost? Since the Honda got dirty, I would hope that the company would do all it takes to make me happy… Even if that means providing me with a clean competitors model!!

I mean, why can’t BTC just offer lifetime hardware upgrades at a bargain price? I mean, car manufacturers give you free upgrades when the new models come out, don’t they?

Why can’t I just upgrade my 5 year old Honda to a new BMW at no cost? Since the Honda got dirty, I would hope that the company would do all it takes to make me happy… Even if that means providing me with a clean competitors model!!

Did you guys actually read my original post? I did not ask for a free upgrade. And as far as the Honda to BMW, what do you call the trade-in that most people do? :confused:

By the way, my 1004 still can’t write goog old TY CD’s worth a crap. I also only use name brand media (Imation, Maxell, Memorex, etc…) and very seldomly get reliable burns from the BTC.

Sure, we read your excellent original post. I’m just recommending extending your post to the next logical level.

Did you know that Imation, Maxell, Memorex are not DVD or CD manufacturers? They are rather simply repackagers. At least 2 of the 3 have used a number of different manufacturers products to carry their brand name.

Did you know that Imation, Maxell, Memorex are not DVD or CD manufacturers?

Of corse! But if a manufacturer can’t support comonly used media that joe average consumer will buy, not media from internet sites, but from Best Buy, Office Depot, CompUSA, ect, then what good are they. And don’t tell me that CMC sucks for only use TY media, because not all drives have problems with these suposedly crap media sold by companies like Memorex, Imation, Sony, ect, they work fine in many drives. I personly have 5 drives: Nec 1300A, BTC 1004 IM, Pioneer A05, Cyberdrive DX082D, and an Nec 2510A. I have tested them all with many types of media (what I call common media that is locally available under a well know brand name) and the BTC drive is by far the worst, even with the newest firmware followed closely by the 1300A.

I’m just recommending extending your post to the next logical level.

Why can’t I just upgrade my 5 year old Honda to a new BMW at no cost?

Now how did you come to this LOGIC? I clearly stated I would like a trade up with a reasonable fee, your BMW trade up is just assinine! Your not extending anything you are going off on a tangent and distorting what my topic was about.

Wow! I’m impressed. In your opinion, the dual +/- BTC drive is worst with “all types of media” (common that is), than drives that support ONLY + or only - types of media.

On the other hand, my Pioneer A04 and A04 drives both produce movies that have major problems in stand-alone players when using Princo 2X media I puchased at either CompUSA or OfficeMAX under the StarLogic label. 4X Princos seem to work fine with the Pioneers. Yet my BTC produces perfect copies using either 2X or 4X Princo media. The BTC is also happy with the TDK and Sony +R discs that I’ve purchased locally. These discs were either Ricoh or CMC, depending on the batch. The BTC doesn’t care which brand, it just works. +R discs in a Pioneer A04 or A05?? I don’t think so. Hell, neither Pioneer will even read a mastered +R disc. The BTC just works with whatever I throw at it.

By what logic would a rational individual line up 4 similar products, and when time to puchase a new model, chose one from the manufacturer of the 2nd worst on the list??

You are absolutely right, it is “assisine”. Maybe BTC should follow ATI’s lead in providing a workable upgrade program. ATI allows you to upgrade any old video card to one of their latest and greatest for a reasonable discount off list price. Even your oldest, non-working video card will allow you to participate in the ATI trade-up program. Of couse, the trade in price is slightly higher than you can find the same cards for by careful shopping. Oh, that’s right, you can buy the new video cards on the open market for less than the upgrade/trade-in price, and not worry about having to send an old card back.

I guess it takes a warped sence of humor to take an “assisine” position and make it even more “assisine” by going off on a tanget. BTC is not the highest quality available, and its pricing structure reflects that. Buy a bargain basement priced product, and normally you get bargain basement quality. The BTC’s quality is much better than is reflected in its street price.

In your opinion, the dual +/- BTC drive is worst with “all types of media” (common that is), than drives that support ONLY + or only - types of media.

:confused: Who said anything like that? The Cyberdrive is great at producing + disks and the Pioneer does cheap - media great. Who needs a combo drive that can’t write well to either type?

Also, my Pioneer A05 write Princo 4X just fine.

By what logic would a rational individual line up 4 similar products, and when time to puchase a new model, chose one from the manufacturer of the 2nd worst on the list??

If you do some research and read revieves by users and sites like this one you will know why I got the NEC even after getting the 1300A. Just like BTC has probably learned a bit from it 4X version and produced a better drive, so has NEC and right now it is about the most highly rated drive out there for writing quality on a multitude of media by many manufacturers.

Mosts highly rated–but by whom? There’s no consensus on what the best drive is–most have their strengths and weaknesses. The 1004 performed well enough to place well or even win comparison tests in its day (around 6 months ago). The 1008 (about 2 - 3 months ago) also placed well. Now the dual layer drives are starting to hit the market. Buy one now? In 2 months another will come out, cheaper, and maybe better. That’s the way the market works. What did a 160 gig hard drive cost a year ago? Today the price has fallen by half.

Your Pioneer writes Princo 4x just fine, you say. But which ones? Princo was removed from the list of supported media because they changed their dyes while neglecting to mention this fact or change the MID code. And fine if your drives can still read them, but the quality of Princo media has been demonstrated to be not so great. Why take the risk for a few cent’s savings?

Additionally, one of the advantages of buying one of the most popular manufacturers (e.g. Pioneer) is that you supposedly get the fastest support for new media. BTC has generally placed well, although not the very best, for compatibility. But when I bought my drive (1008) it cost around 40% less than the then-current pioneer drive.

It is also worth taking into account when counting complaints on forums whether those complaints are justified. Many complaints come from users who have made very basic errors–using unsupported media, drive improperly installed, software used incorrectly, incompatible stand-alone units etc. These people would have the same problems no matter what drive they bought.

You’ll forgive me, I hope, if I don’t rank your personal anecdote about how lousy your BTC drive is as highly as the results of a number of respected computer magazines. I can only say regarding my own experience that I have had no problems.

“The BTC drive is by far the worst, even with the newest firmware followed closely by the 1300A.”

Which did you mean? Is the BTC drive by far the worst, or is its poor quality closely followed by the 1300A?

If the latter, have you requested an upgrade on your second worst drive yet (the 1300A)? (This is a joke, as was my previous exaggeration of your request for a trade-in.)