Perserving Quality

How do I save a file in the largest quality format as possible in Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas so it can be compressed to x264 later on?

uncompressed full-frame format video in an avi container is the only way to stay 100% true

This is what I get when I save as uncompressed… Then it asks for the ‘uncompressed codec’… what the hell

C:\Documents and Settings\Duji\Desktop
m.avi::Video

Media Type 0:

Video: 720x576 25.00fps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: Unknown GUID Name {00000000-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
formattype: FORMAT_VideoInfo {05589F80-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
bFixedSizeSamples: 0
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 88

haha, i don’t know man, hopefully someone can help you tomorrow.

Please give the exact steps (and in which software), you are using. Also, try downloading huffyuv and try it. It is a very good lossless codec.

First I convert .TGA’s into .AVI using VirtualDubMod and saving them in Huffyuv Lossless, then I edit in Sony Vegas, and Render As .avi.

This is how I render in Vegas:

A simple search at www.videohelp.com, showed a step by step example for something very similar to what you want to do. Here is the link:
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic327121.html

But how do I save it as highest quality? I tried uncompressed, but I get an error. Maybe there is something I can do to fix this error.

huffyuv is LOSSLESS. There is no quality loss for using this compression.
Unless you’ve discovered a new algorithm to add new (accurate) information to a recorded video stream, there’s no better way to store something than losslessly.

There is no point in saving it as raw/uncompressed video unless the program you are using cannot import using the huffyuv codec, and that would require some serious digging to find any program that is not compatible with the directdraw huffyuv filters or similar.

Except possibly colorspace conversion :slight_smile:
You might want to have a look at MSU’s lossless codec although it is slower
http://www.compression.ru/video/ls-codec/index_en.html
//Danne

Thanks very much. :clap: