Perpendicular recording

Funny flash animation of perpendicular recording technology I came across today :slight_smile: : http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_head/pr/PerpendicularAnimation.html

As used in Seagate’s Barracuda 7200.10 series. Anybody using one of these think it’s quiet or loud on seek (read/write)? Still looks like an interesting drive, although I don’t wish to have a repeat of the rattling noise my 7200.9 makes (and Seagate’s recently come out with a single-platter second generation version now - http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=null&vgnextoid=9292a41246303110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD).

You mean, it makes some movements inside when it’s supposed to be perfectly idle? I used to be annoyed by it, but apparently it is normal for some Seagate drives. They probably thought nobody would notice.

The new [perpendicular] 7200.10 doesn’t seem to have this problem.

Of course, with Vista, you also need to disable file versioning and the indexing service to give the hard drives a rest and get some peace and quiet for yourself. I ran file access logging after I installed Vista because I was annoyed by extraneous disc activity, and found that it loves to walk over .ISO images and other large files, indexing them for 10-15 minutes at a time every now and then. An absolutely meaningless, wasteful activity.

I hadn’t noticed any special noises on idle, [B]agent009[/B], but the read/write access noise is pretty bad on my 7200.9. This is all subjective of course and it will depend on the individual unit you get, but some people say the 7200.10 drives are quiet, others not. After reading a bit, I would think the general consensus is that they’re not the most silent ones around either.

That’s a very big Vista annoyance you mentioned there. Glad you’ve been able to remedy it, but 99% of all users will just have to live with it, I’m sure. Poor hard drives…

I love my Seagate 7200.10, but I feel dumber just from having watched that flash animation.

The last I knew, Seagate doesn’t have AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management). Most drives have it but Seagate removed it a few years ago. I think it was a copyright issue. If AAM is enabled it makes the seeks virtually inaudible but it does have some negative effect on performance.