Permanent marker under original dvd

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and I am presented with an unusual problem. I accidentally put a DVD on top of a CD-R that I had just written on with a permanent marker. It seems like a little bit of the marker rubbed off and now is on the burned side of the original DVD. It plays fine except a handful of chapter are corrupt.

How can I remove the marker stains, its very light but enough to cause errors. I was reading the forum and a lot of people mentions toothpaste to polish up DVDs. Will toothpaste help?

Any suggestion will help.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I suggest you to avoid toothpaste because it can be abrasive.

Try first with a bit of alcohol; this should remove the stains.

It will help your teeth but not your DVD.
I recommend you try and make a back-up on a DVD+RW before attempting to clean the disc in case you cause any permanent damage. Good luck. :rolleyes:

I had a disc quite a while back, that was one of those single layer, on both sides disc. It was a retail dvd, and in the confusion of the “wide angle” and the “letterbox” video, someone in the house wrote on the disc the title so you would know which side to leave up, and I tried to make a back up of the side that was written on, and I could not get it to work. No matter what I tried, but keep in mind it was intentionally written there, and had been there for a couple of years. Good Luck, and maybe the sooner the better you try something.