Permanent Booktype Setting LG 4163B

vbimport

Hi is there any way of permanently setting the booktype for an LG 4163B to DVD-ROM. Also is there a limit to the number of times thsi drive cand be bitset.
Thanks

Nope, but you can automatically have it set on startup using this

Do not forget to set booktype again when coming out of standby!

Thanks for the replies. Alexnoe, which files do I put in Autostart, I am using Windows XP. I assume unlike eprom booktype setting, booktype changes are unlimited

The readme.txt file says everything: What to use, how to ensure that it worked, and how to troubleshot

Thanks works fine!!

okay been trying to add the set_dvdrom.bat as a startup item using strun or startup manager of advanced system optimizer. for some reason it doesn’t get saved. when i open up strun or startup manager the item is no longer there. any ideas?

thanks.

I also had a question on Bitsetting for the 4163. If I set it in Nero, will it retain the setting when I start another program such as CloneDVD?

Thanks.

now when i try to run the batch file it says, ‘bitset’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

can anyone help me?

not nice… copy bitset.exe to your \windows\system32 folder, that should fix it

If I set it in Nero, will it retain the setting when I start another program such as CloneDVD?
Only if you have recorded a DVD+ disc with Nero.

okay been trying to add the set_dvdrom.bat as a startup item using strun or startup manager of advanced system optimizer. for some reason it doesn’t get saved. when i open up strun or startup manager the item is no longer there. any ideas?
Do it manually… right click on “start” -> “explore” -> programs -> startup -> add a shortcut to it there

finally it works. thank you mr. alexnoe.

but do you really have to press any key for the command line to close?

No. Just delete the “pause” command in “set_dvdrom.bat”.

sorry if this is a silly question but how do i do that?

Open the file “set_dvdrom.bat” in any editor (e.g. Notepad).
Delete the word “pause” and save the file. That’s it.

If you want to see the window for just a few seconds (e.g. ~ 5 s), you could add the following line in “set_dvdrom.bat”:

ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul

The whole “set_dvdrom.bat” then should have 2 lines:

bitset dvd-rom dvd-rom
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul

ok thanks sir palko. will give it a try when i get home later.

i read a review saying that it automatically changes the booktype to dvd-rom…
http://www.extrememhz.com/gsa4163b-p10.shtml

Speaking of compatibility, the LG GSA-4163B will automatically set the booktype of both DVD+R and DVD+R DL media to DVD-ROM. This will provide the highest level of compatibility with standalone DVD players and eliminates that need for utilities and/or supported third-party software to do this.

but it really doesnt, right?

It’s been a while since the link to BitSet was published :slight_smile:
The link is dead now. Could anybody share the utility, please?

Yes, someone can provide the link please. I want to enable permanent bitsetting to my LG drives. Thanks :flower:.

You can always use your burning application to set the booktype as you like, i also think that it will be a little hard to find a 3 years old utility.

[QUOTE=vroom;2099181]You can always use your burning application to set the booktype as you like, i also think that it will be a little hard to find a 3 years old utility.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think the same too. The thing is that I always forget to enable the bitsetting to DVD-ROM :stuck_out_tongue: and I’m kind of upset, because all my burners have the bitsetting activated by default and the LG’s doesn’t. By the way congratulations vroom :clap:.