Periodic freezing - momentary to prolonged to black screen

vbimport

image source (from ATA133 HDDs):
DVDDecrypter 3.5.4.0 (& 3.5.2.0) MDS’s (w corresponding ISO files) of DVD9 movie titles

burner:
Plextor PX-716A V1.09 (w. PlexTools Pro v2.32a installed / runs on startup)

media:
RITEK D01 (RIDATA 2.4X DVD+R DL)

burning s/w:
ImgBurn Version 1.3.0.0

standalone DVD player (has played DVD9’s great since summer '04):
Pioneer Elite DV-38A (mfgd. JUNE 2001, sold as Refurb. [B-STOCK] MAY 2004)

Other relevant info:
I also have Nero 7 Ultra Edition, AnyDVD5961 (disabled during ImgBurn sessions), CloneCD5281 & CloneDVD2(851) installed on a PIII 667 133FSB 512MB w 279GB HDDs(2) Win XP Pro SP2 machine (the Plextor P4 minimum requirement has proven, up to this point anyway, to be a non-issue[?]).

After making some preliminary inquiries here on the forum, I went ahead and backed up SIN_CITY successfully (or so I thought - my cursory test of the Previews and Menu screen went fine). I happily banged off another 10 titles before I sat down to watch ALIEN_VS_PREDATOR from start to finish. Oops.

Twice, on separate occasions, I snoozed through a portion of the movie to awake to loss of video & audio (black screen … the DV-38A display showed only ‘DVD’) … the next day, I re-ran Menu > Scene Selection until I got back to a scene I remembered … somewhere shy of the halfway point … about 43 minutes in. Although playback experienced several momentary freezes beyond the 45 min mark, the playback did not freeze up completely on me again.

I have tested a different title, OCEANS_TWELVE, and I find that it has froze up on me completely (with pic only) twice now.

I searched ‘freezing’ and ‘RITEK D01’ here to see what I could find out.

freezing and background apps: Although initially I was cautious to close all other user apps during a burn (but not: Spybot-SD Resident, ZoneAlarm, NAV AP, 2 network connections [1 of is peer to peer file sharing], AnyDVD - disabled and NetMeeting RDS - de-Activated), I did relax on that front after the first few successes and started leaving Diskeeper Pro, Outlook 2000, and 3 instances of 5 min. auto-refreshing IE6 browser windows running - likely a major mistake, given my CPU is certainly no powerhouse.

RITEK D01 media: Perhaps not the wisest choice of media, now that I have seen the differences from disc to disc off the same 25-disc spindle using PlexTools Pro’s Q-Check FE/TE Test, and, after having read more here on the forum about this particular media.

So, now, may I seek assistance evaluating the burns I have done, to see what problem(s) I can mitigate for future burn attempts.

I understand KProbe is only for Lite-On burners … I have Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.11 & 4.50 and Nero DVD Speed 0.5.3.0 installed … I could also install the ad-based free version of DVDInfoPro as required or suggested … I’m going to try to start looking for CRC errors with Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.50 (if that’s possible) on AVP as soon as I post this thread … perhaps I can get some more targeted help / suggestions as the afternoon wears on. Thanks, FFF

first off, you’re correct in assuming that Ritek was not the best option for media. Stick to Verbatim for DL at the moment.

second, i believe plextools lets you do quality scans, but I’m not sure. check the plextor forum here on cdfreaks for more info on that.

at the very least, you can run a transfer rate test in nero cd-dvd speed. this test lets you know how the drive reads the disc. it should be a smooth inverted V shape for dual layer discs. if there are any drastic speed dips or erratic patterns then that means that the drive speed is rapidly changing possibly to accomodate a poor burn (ie slowing down to read better then speeding back up) this is indicative of a poor burn that will have problems with playback.

it’s always good to do a quality scan AND a transfer rate test. quality scans show how the burn actually was and transfer rate tests show how the disc is likely to read. if you have a good reader then a crappy burn might still play fine, but if your reader (or standalone player) is sensitive then you’ll need better quality discs to back up to.

for the future:
make sure you ahve nothing running in the background (you already said you didn’t…just reiterating because it’s iportant)

make sure you have the latest firmware for your drive and keep it up to date. write strategies are introduced and improved all the time!

and once again, I’d check the plextor forum and the blank media/media testing forum to get a feel for scanning and how your drive should do.

Hmmm … Here’s some test results:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R DL
Book Type : DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: : Ritek
MID : RITEK D01 (001)
Write speeds: : 2.4 X - 4 X
Blank Capacity : n/a
Extended Information
Layers : 2
Layer break : 3.96 GB
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - 01 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 F8 28 6F 00 22 A9 5F - …2…(o."._
0010 - 00 00 00 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 44 30 31 01 40 - …RITEK…D01.@
0020 - 25 25 37 0C 00 28 64 00 28 64 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 - %%7…(d.(d…
0030 - 02 01 01 20 00 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 02 01 01 20 00 - …

Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.50 Benchmark and ScanDisc PNG’s attached.
Disc Quality test won’t initiate … “Error initializing test.”

the disc quality scan won’t initialize because i think plextor likes to MAKE you use plextools for stuff like that. I’m not sure if all plextor drives are capable of scanning anyway.

that’s not a bad transfer rate test. looks relatively smooth to me. was that the disc you had problems with?

it could be that your standalone player is pickier than your dvd reader in which case a disc quality scan would be a better indication (if your drive supports this in plextools)

I agree that older or cheaper standalone can be a pain when trying to play dl media. And you results from the scan look pretty good. the stand alone player that i just had to replace would freeze at the layer break and then periodically freeze on the second layer after that. Half the time i couldnt even get the second layer to play at all. I tried to change the book type with no success, I finally had to replace the stand alone. One big way to tell if its the stand alone is to try and play the burned disk in your computer. If you dont have any problems in the computer player then it is more than likely the player and not the burn. Also dump the ritek and go with verbatim. Alot of standalones and burners prefer it to other media. Good luck.

Perhaps I should take this thread over to the Plextor / PlexTools forum(s).

I am running a PlexTools Q-Check PI/PO Test - SUM8 Test … doesn’t look good to me (will post GUI graph and text log when it’s done) at the layer break … also, time consuming and there are 3 other tests in this particular category … in the interests of running the most appropriate tests, I’ll need (a) Plextor / PlexTool expert(s) to weigh-in here …

@ Frankenstien,

A Couple of suggestions -> Obtain known proven high quality Media (Verbatim for DL/ Taiyo Yuden for SL). Curtail ALL background activities while processing backup copies of Commercial DVD Movie Titles (most especially on a P3 based computer). Also curtail all invasive Anti Virus programs especially the very invasive NAV program… Also curtail all Network connections. Also most certainly curtail any and all Peer-To-Peer file sharing actives. Obtain the newest most current version of CloneDVD (2.8.9.8). When using +R Media book type set to DVD-ROM.

These above suggestions are not any new recommendations but have been strongly recommended throughout the Copy DVD Movie Forum to ensure quality error free backup copying of Commercial DVD Movie Tiles.

Best Regards,
bjkg

you can go ahead and post it here since the thread is already open, but you’re right that the plextor forum would be more appropriate if you have further inquiries about the plextools testing.

let this be a lesson for now, and next time use verbatim discs!

for the time being, maybe after seeing your scans, the good people in the plextor forum can give you some tips on how to make the best of what you have

OK … PlexTools Q-Check PI/PO Test - SUM8 Test finished (screenshot attached) … pipo.txt is too big to attach … suffice it to say there were a wack of errors beyond the layer break …

PlexTools Professional V2.32a Q-Check PI/PO Test
Copyright © 1999-2005 Plextor SA/NV
Sunday, May 21, 2006

PIE        POE        POF
   Avg     200.93          -          -
   Max        723          -          -
 Total    6016205          -          1

PIE: ECC Blocks 129689-129696 detected 296 errors
(followed by consecutive blocks, last line:)
PIE: ECC Blocks 239529-239536 detected 319 errors

Thanks for the help so far guys … maybe I’ll shop this over at the Plex forums … FFF