image source (from ATA133 HDDs):
DVDDecrypter 184.108.40.206 (& 220.127.116.11) MDS's (w corresponding ISO files) of DVD9 movie titles
Plextor PX-716A V1.09 (w. PlexTools Pro v2.32a installed / runs on startup)
RITEK D01 (RIDATA 2.4X DVD+R DL)
ImgBurn Version 18.104.22.168
standalone DVD player (has played DVD9's great since summer '04):
Pioneer Elite DV-38A (mfgd. JUNE 2001, sold as Refurb. [B-STOCK] MAY 2004)
Other relevant info:
I also have Nero 7 Ultra Edition, AnyDVD5961 (disabled during ImgBurn sessions), CloneCD5281 & CloneDVD2(851) installed on a PIII 667 133FSB 512MB w 279GB HDDs(2) Win XP Pro SP2 machine (the Plextor P4 minimum requirement has proven, up to this point anyway, to be a non-issue[?]).
After making some preliminary inquiries here on the forum, I went ahead and backed up SIN_CITY successfully (or so I thought - my cursory test of the Previews and Menu screen went fine). I happily banged off another 10 titles before I sat down to watch ALIEN_VS_PREDATOR from start to finish. Oops.
Twice, on separate occasions, I snoozed through a portion of the movie to awake to loss of video & audio (black screen ... the DV-38A display showed only 'DVD') ... the next day, I re-ran Menu > Scene Selection until I got back to a scene I remembered ... somewhere shy of the halfway point ... about 43 minutes in. Although playback experienced several momentary freezes beyond the 45 min mark, the playback did not freeze up completely on me again.
I have tested a different title, OCEANS_TWELVE, and I find that it has froze up on me completely (with pic only) twice now.
I searched 'freezing' and 'RITEK D01' here to see what I could find out.
freezing and background apps: Although initially I was cautious to close all other user apps during a burn (but not: Spybot-SD Resident, ZoneAlarm, NAV AP, 2 network connections [1 of is peer to peer file sharing], AnyDVD - disabled and NetMeeting RDS - de-Activated), I did relax on that front after the first few successes and started leaving Diskeeper Pro, Outlook 2000, and 3 instances of 5 min. auto-refreshing IE6 browser windows running - likely a major mistake, given my CPU is certainly no powerhouse.
RITEK D01 media: Perhaps not the wisest choice of media, now that I have seen the differences from disc to disc off the same 25-disc spindle using PlexTools Pro's Q-Check FE/TE Test, and, after having read more here on the forum about this particular media.
So, now, may I seek assistance evaluating the burns I have done, to see what problem(s) I can mitigate for future burn attempts.
I understand KProbe is only for Lite-On burners ... I have Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.11 & 4.50 and Nero DVD Speed 0.5.3.0 installed ... I could also install the ad-based free version of DVDInfoPro as required or suggested ... I'm going to try to start looking for CRC errors with Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.50 (if that's possible) on AVP as soon as I post this thread ... perhaps I can get some more targeted help / suggestions as the afternoon wears on. Thanks, FFF