Performance speed of WD My Book Studio II - worth the money?

vbimport

How fast are the WD My Book Studio Editions compared to regular external HDDs? I noticed that these drives are priced at a small premium compared to regular hard drives, but they seem to be a lot faster. :slight_smile:

Is it worth the money in your opinion? :bigsmile:

Welcome to the forum. :flower:

[QUOTE=MultiC0pier;2457696]How fast are the WD My Book Studio Editions compared to regular external HDDs? I noticed that these drives are priced at a small premium compared to regular hard drives, but they seem to be a lot faster. :slight_smile:

Is it worth the money in your opinion? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I’m not quite sure your question makes sense. What do you mean by “regular” drive?

The only thing that distinguishes the studio editions are the Firewire800 and eSATA ports which Mac users demand. Unless you need those, they are not worth it.

Also, unless you are comparing apples to apples, their performance advantage can’t be properly gauged. Are you comparing them to other drives with eSATA and Firewire800? If you don’t have those ports, then getting those drives is useless. If you do have those ports, then they are obviously faster than USB2, but you don’t need to buy those specific drives to get faster performance. Any drives with those ports will be faster than USB2.