Perfect size of partitions

vbimport

hi to everybody, I have to make some partitions on my new pc, now I have 1 new 750gb hd and 2 old ide ones 300 and 80 gb, I will add one more later

I would like to make 1 partition for xp, 1 to keep free to install ubuntu in the future, 1 of 6 gb to burn cd and dvd (so I have to defrag only this one before burning), maybe 1 for back up, maybe 1 for programs, maybe 1 for swap, at least 1 for data with the other free gbs, I have these questions for you:

how many gb for XP (I would like it big enough to change xp with any future SO better than xp and vista)
how many gb for linux (I would like to make just 1 for it and split it when I will need it)
is it advisable to make one just for programs? how many gb for it?
is it advisable to make one just for swap (I have already 2gb ram and xp keep other 2gb for file paging, I need it so many?)?
is it advisable to make an image back up (with partition magic or acronis) both for xp and programs?

thank you and best regards

My suggestion is to use the 750GB HDD for data only, and use the 300GB drive for operative systems.

The amount of space needed is related mostly on how many programs you will install on your computer. The operative system by itself doesn’t require so much space.

I suggest to create a 20-30 GB partition for XP. For what I know, there is no real advantage to create a separate partition for programs, but is better (in my opinion) to have all programs installed in C:

It can be advantageous to create the swap file on a separate HDD (not a separate partition of the same HDD), because this can improve its performance.

If you are planning to install Windows Vista in future, then you will need a little more space, but I strongly suggest to install it from scratch, and not do an upgrade. usually upgrades creates a mess. So 50GB should be sufficient for windows.

Because of very often the operative system needs to access the HDD, I suggest to keep the partition you use to burn discs on a separate HDD. In this way, when you are burning a disc the operative system can access the HDD with no risk to cause buffer emptying. I suggest then to use a single HDD for operative system and programs only (both windows and Linux), and store all data on physically separate HDD (not in different partitions of the same HDD).

If you want create a separate partition to store data to be burned, then a 10GB partition should be more than enough.

Because of Windows is rather picky about the boot loader, I suggest to install Windows first, and Linux thereafter. When Windows require to format the HDD, I suggest to create a partition (25-30GB or 50GB for Vista as I said previously, but of course you can choice any size) and leave the remaining space unpartitioned, so you can install Linux in future. I also strongly suggest to install ONLY the HDD where you will install windows first, and add the other discs only when Windows is fully installed.

Linux requires a swap partition, and it is advised to create one. If I’m not wrong, usually the swap partition is created around double of RAM, so you can create a 4GB swap partition. Again, there can be a slight performance gain if the swap partition is located on a physically separate HDD.

Also for Linux, I suggest to store your data on a separate HDD, leaving the operative system separate from your data. This is because if something goes wrong and you need to install again the OS, all your data will be safe.

I hope this can help :slight_smile:

grazie per la risposta, vedo che sei italiano, ma cerco di risponderti in inglese così da poter essere utile anche agli altri

I prefer to use the new one for OS because the other is about 3 years old, it’s not so good and can get broken, I fell safer with the new one
about the separate partition to store data to be burned, you write 10, but in my experience 6 is ok (I don’t need double layer dvd), now I could still use that one created on the old disk and make another one when I will buy another sata hd or meanwhile I can use space reserved to install linux in the future to store files to burn
so, here we go:
1 XP and programs (other SO in future) 50 gb
2 file to burn (linux in future) 50gb
3 data 650 free gb
when I will get another hd I will create a partition for swap and another one to store data to be burned
just one more question about image back up: is it advisable to make it for xp and programs? I need to do it now or is it better to wait and use a new hd (I think it’s better, but dangerous if I could have troubles before to buy it)?
It could be much better to use an 10000 rpm disk for SO and use the 750gb one for data and back up?

thank you and best reagrds

[QUOTE=geno888;2012684]My suggestion is to use the 750GB HDD for data only, and use the 300GB drive for operative systems.

The amount of space needed is related mostly on how many programs you will install on your computer. The operative system by itself doesn’t require so much space.

I suggest to create a 20-30 GB partition for XP. For what I know, there is no real advantage to create a separate partition for programs, but is better (in my opinion) to have all programs installed in C:

It can be advantageous to create the swap file on a separate HDD (not a separate partition of the same HDD), because this can improve its performance.

If you are planning to install Windows Vista in future, then you will need a little more space, but I strongly suggest to install it from scratch, and not do an upgrade. usually upgrades creates a mess. So 50GB should be sufficient for windows.

Because of very often the operative system needs to access the HDD, I suggest to keep the partition you use to burn discs on a separate HDD. In this way, when you are burning a disc the operative system can access the HDD with no risk to cause buffer emptying. I suggest then to use a single HDD for operative system and programs only (both windows and Linux), and store all data on physically separate HDD (not in different partitions of the same HDD).

If you want create a separate partition to store data to be burned, then a 10GB partition should be more than enough.

Because of Windows is rather picky about the boot loader, I suggest to install Windows first, and Linux thereafter. When Windows require to format the HDD, I suggest to create a partition (25-30GB or 50GB for Vista as I said previously, but of course you can choice any size) and leave the remaining space unpartitioned, so you can install Linux in future. I also strongly suggest to install ONLY the HDD where you will install windows first, and add the other discs only when Windows is fully installed.

Linux requires a swap partition, and it is advised to create one. If I’m not wrong, usually the swap partition is created around double of RAM, so you can create a 4GB swap partition. Again, there can be a slight performance gain if the swap partition is located on a physically separate HDD.

Also for Linux, I suggest to store your data on a separate HDD, leaving the operative system separate from your data. This is because if something goes wrong and you need to install again the OS, all your data will be safe.

I hope this can help :)[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with the MOD. I keep my O/S HDD on a separate HDD from my games HDD and data HDD. Just cause of as the MOD said when burning it’s free up the main HDD to do other things and saves the life of the drive more. I have a 20G HDD and 60,80,100,250 and mayber later a 750 if possible to store all my data on. I do use the 80 to keep a ghost image of my main HDD so that I can reboot it and update the programs and the O/S and remake the a clean image. This has saved me on alot of occassion when I did delete something from the main O/S HDD that I wasn’t suppose to or to reghost it back if something didn install right and redo the process again.