People prefer buying consumer electronics in stores, not online

People prefer buying consumer electronics in stores, not online.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/09/sBZNXo.jpg[/newsimage]E-commerce has grown in leaps and bounds in the last few years, earning its own unofficial shopping holiday Cyber Monday. However, new research from The NPD Group found that when it comes to consumer electronics people would rather make the drive to a brick-and-mortar store than buy online.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/people-prefer-buying-consumer-electronics-in-stores-not-online-51804/](http://www.myce.com/news/people-prefer-buying-consumer-electronics-in-stores-not-online-51804/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Personally, I think about what happens if it develops a problem when deciding to purchase an item online or by heading to the shop. For small and inexpensive items, such as computer components, digital camera, TV aerials, etc., I buy them online. For bulky items such as washing machines, televisions, a laptop/PC, etc. and even helping a family member buy one, I feel it is far less hassle to head to the shop.

My brother already learned the hard way when he bought a 40" Samsung TV online. It arrived fine and worked great for a year and went on the blink. As he bought it online, he was given no choice but to mail it back, which meant packing it up (luckily he kept the original box) and organizing a courier to collect it, plus the postage cost of the repair centre sending it back to him. If he paid the €100 more to buy it in a local electronics store, there would have been far less hassle simply taking the TV back to the shop.

As for laptops and computers, after sales can be a major hassle when they develop a hardware problem or the computer is supplied with a wrong component (e.g. wrong processor, monitor, etc.). E.g. Dell support absolutely refuse to take back a laptop that develops a hard disk failure (at least from my experience), instead forcing the customer to run the recovery discs and repeat each time the OS crashes. For a computer with wrong components, they insist that the hardware is correct and that the customer is wrong. I’ve heard of similar issues for multi-function printers when they go wrong.

Finally for pretty much all bulky consumer electronics, such as fridges, microwaves, tumble dryer, etc., we buy them in the shop, mainly to check their appearance and again for ease of returning in case they develop fault. For example, the product size on the website can be very deceiving, since most product websites show all product thumbnails the same size, which is obviously not the case when you physically see the products in a high-street shop. Very seldom do we use the reverse approach, where we check out the item in the shop and buy it online.

When most people want something…They want it…Now…That is why brick-and-mortar stores are 81% vs 19% online buyers…

Software is higher%buyers becouse You can download it…Now…

I think its the…Now Factor…

[QUOTE=AIRBUD7;2604166]When most people want something…They want it…Now…That is why brick-and-mortar stores are 81% vs 19% online buyers…

I think its the…Now Factor…[/QUOTE]
Absolutely! If I spend several hundred dollars (or more) for something like a TV, I want it in my house so I can be enjoying it tonight. Not in a week or so.

I work in a small independent “Brick and Mortar” Store that’s been around for 55 years! Our customer base goes back Generations not weeks.
People come to us because we will actually talk to them and have real, unrehearsed answers to their questions (try that online!) (or in a chain Store).
Personally I made the mistake of buying online once and only once, never again.
As for the Technojunkies, cheap bastards and just plain lazy clods that insist on buying online, Caveat Emptor!

Like said, small PC type stuff that I know will work OK and I’m familiar with, online, big stuff like TV’s and appliances in store. I want to look at it, play with it, take it home now, not wait a week, then maybe find out it sucks or is broken and have to deal with return shipping.
I hit the deal sites and see what out there, if it’s a great deal I pounce on it and hope I get lucky.
We have a few PC type places still left here that sometimes actually have good prices on in stock stuff, so if they have what I want I’ll buy from them too. Most times the small stuff has to be found online to get the best prices.
We also have a few mom and pop Video type stores that used to always give my friends and family better prices then anyone else so again I tend to give them the first shot when buying the latest TV or A/V gear.

[QUOTE=AIRBUD7;2604166]When most people want something…They want it…Now…That is why brick-and-mortar stores are 81% vs 19% online buyers…

I think its the…Now Factor…[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is true. If your network router fails or you need new network cables then you need that NOW and can’t wait on shipping. Also, you’re likely without Internet if network devices aren’t working. Most people don’t have a extra/spare router lying around. Same with computer monitors, printers, etc. These are items you usually need right away, because when I’m purchasing one of these items its usually because of an emergency situation. It’s definitely the NOW factor killing online sales when it comes to electronics. However, I do purchase online when its not an emergency situation and I’m looking for the best deal. Online has never failed me <knock on wood>