Pentium 4 or AMD?

I am most definately am an AMD fanboi and believe they easily rule the roost on bang for buck high performance chips. That said the Intel Pentium 4 D (Dual Core) are easily the best bang for buck mid/low range chips.

I picked up a Pentium4 D 805 for $198AU for my multimedia box - plenty of guts at a budget price that Overclocks to 3.2Ghz without a fuss. (the AMD X2 3800+ retails for $425AU)

this statement doesn’t hold nearly as much water as it used to.

poll you bring in a whole new area which realy scewa the debate, as overclocking is not something the average user can do. AMDs can be overclocked too.

I wont overclock my AMD when I get it as I don;t want to damage it.

I wouldn’t overclock either, it took me long enough to get the you know whats to cross flash my DVD writer. I have a lot of reading to do on that topic before I would even think about it.

The average user can do it. Most recent mobos allow you to “tweak” performance, and nearly all hardware is set to conservative speeds.

The reason overage users don’t do it is because they don’t realise they can, or just plain old fear.

However, MSI began implementing an automatic/dynamic overclocking feature for their P4 boards awhile ago :wink:

Thats is what some else just told me today, but I think he was refering to system RAM.

Does the AMD 3500+ have this feature to overclock it?? Is there some sort of utility that lets you tweak it to be faster without the risk of damaging it>?

All CPU’s have the ability to be overclocked.

But what you want to do is get the lowest clocked CPU for the die / track size, so that way you can overclock it the most :wink:

No point getting the highest clocked processor for a given die, after AMD/intel have already realised the full speed potential of the core.

AMD all the way. You couldn’t pay me enough to have a Pentium.

:cool: :cool:

Why not, if the system was cheap enough. You can always use it as a fileserver :wink:

I’d prefer AMD for my main system though :stuck_out_tongue:

i think it depends on ur usage …amd r cheap then intel cost wise…
if u beginer or u dont use pc much then i think u should save money :wink: and buy amd otherwise intel is right choice :slight_smile:

and aslo i depends where u live ., i mean i live in those part of world where its warm and u have electricity problems etc … so amd is not a good choice here … i have intel and i use it 24/7 but it didnt effect its performance much… so it depends on ur usage as well :slight_smile:

i think it depends on ur usage …amd r cheap then intel cost wise…
if u beginer or u dont use pc much then i think u should save money :wink: and buy amd otherwise intel is right choice :slight_smile:

and aslo i depends where u live ., i mean i live in those part of world where its warm and u have electricity problems etc … so amd is not a good choice here … i have intel and i use it 24/7 but it didnt effect its performance much… so it depends on ur usage as well :slight_smile:

why is intel better than AMD if you’re a beginner or don’t use your PC much? :confused: makes no sense.

this makes no sense either. granted the newer intel cores run cooler and have lower power consumption than previous cores, but AMD doesn’t run hotter nor consume more power than any existing Intel CPU.

man, so much FUD instilled by Intel users/fans.

Well, pollushon post triggered me to check.

I found these at newegg:
Intel Pentium D 930 Presler Dual Core 3.0Ghz $196
ASUS P5WD2 mobo $197 (currently out of stock but zipzoomfly has it here).

Any comments on these? And what are the comparable AMD?

What?

Funny that i have noticed everyone in Pakistan seems to think AMD is still more power demanding and heat producing … i think this stopped being the case when A64s came out a few years back

Btw I would buy a sct 939 cpu for sure, because when you decide u want more power you can upgrade to a more powerful X2

The reason most people dont oc is so they don;t void their 3 year warranty for their computer’s most expensive component (in the case of 64bit AMD retail CPUs anyway)

The 930 - Presler is $300AU but runs on par - slightly lower than the 3800 X2 as far as Business related apps and Transcoding Encoding goes. As for Gaming/3D the 3800 Surpasses it. Considering the $130AU price difference is well worth it.

Is this the CPU that you refer to when you said 3800X2, and if it is what GTZ would say this compares to in an Intel CPU?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562
Can this CPU be overclocked?

Naturally after these hit the street the 939’s will drop in price. Worse the buying a car ain’t it Alan :bigsmile:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7576.cfm

“New Build due on May 26”

Ahh thats tomorrow